Posted to dev@carbondata.apache.org by Ravindra Pesala <ra...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/16 11:18:50 UTC

[Proposal] Thoughts on general guidelines to follow in Apache CarbonData community

Hi

Please find our thoughts on the guidelines we can follow in the community
to ensure the quality of Carbondata and make the community more
collaborative. Let us discuss here.

1.    Let us discuss all the features in the community before starting
design. Let us attach the design document in the JIRA for future easy
reference

2.    Let us have design review meetings for all new features and wait till
at least 3 committers give +1 and approve the design.

3.    Let us do the impact analysis on base flows and share our analysis
along with the design review.

4.    Let us wait for at least 2 committers to review our code and put
LGTM.

5.    Let us discuss and assign release manager role to one of the
committers/PMCs for every version and empower the release manager to
actively track the PRs required for the release scope and also assign the
review owners for them so that PRs are merged timely.

6.    Let us have weekly meetings for all important features and let the
feature developers/owners share the progress and other
developments.

7.    Let us attach functional, compatibility and performance comparison
[TPCH] reports both in JIRA and PR for all feature requirements

8.    Let us develop features or optimizations not aligned with the release
scope in a separate branch.

9.    Let us add the mailing list link to the Jira to ensure easy tracking.
Suggest checking all the open Jira before proposing new features or
enhancements.

10. Let us add the JIRA link in the mailing list to ensure easy tracking.

--

Thanks & Regards,
Ravindra

Re: [Proposal] Thoughts on general guidelines to follow in Apache CarbonData community

Posted by xm_zzc <44...@qq.com>.
+1 for 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10.
+0 for 6.

One suggestion for 7, it better to give a performance comparison [TPCH]
report for each release version.

Re: [Proposal] Thoughts on general guidelines to follow in Apache CarbonData community

Posted by David CaiQiang <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 1,2,3,4,5,8,9,10

+0 for 6,7

-----
Best Regards
David Cai

Re: [Proposal] Thoughts on general guidelines to follow in Apache CarbonData community

Posted by brijoobopanna <br...@huawei.com>.
+1

For Point 7 if there is a Automated report that can daily run and share the
impact due to daily PR raised and report it to the committer could be
efficient.

Re: [Proposal] Thoughts on general guidelines to follow in Apache CarbonData community

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Thanks for starting the discussion.

Big big +1 from my side,  these rules are ASF key concepts (community over
code, open and enough communition etc.),  i do believe, these rules will
help Apache CarbonData community go far!

Regards
Liang

ravipesala wrote

Posted by Raghunandan S <ca...@gmail.com>.
Dear xuchuanyin,
For 2,4,6--  there are many ways the meeting can be held. Using zoom.us is
one mechanism. It is a community collaborative development and hence
collective responsibility of all committers. Version manager can remind for
timely handling of pr

7 can't be combined with 1,2. 1,2 is activity before starting coding. 7 is
test report after coding

Posted by xubo245 <60...@qq.com>.
+1, for 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10
 for 7, can we support do some test automatic? including performance for
common function.

It's great for CarbonData community,

Can we arrange someone or manager to manage all JIRA and PR, and urge
reviewer to review fast. The time will become slower after add these rules,
we should accelerate the speed from raise a jira/PR to merge