Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Stormy <st...@stormy.ca> on 2011/12/09 19:30:04 UTC

[users@httpd] worker, prefork, .apache2.conf.swp and php

Apache2 2.2.17 on a possibly overbuilt (8 core CPU, 8 Gigs RAM, solid state
+ raid drives) lightly loaded server using MySql, Perl and PHP.  Built
using 'worker' rather than 'prefork' (Googling seemed to suggest
performance improvement under light loads) but now I'm reading various
reports that PHP could be troublesome (Debian User forum, "PHP5 stopped
working".)

Am I paranoid?  I found this while trying to find out about
.apache2.conf.swp and am now totally confused.  Insight from the experts
here would save my sanity.

Thanks - Paul

Re: [users@httpd] worker, prefork, .apache2.conf.swp and php

Posted by Stormy <st...@stormy.ca>.
At 10:05 PM 12/9/2011 +0000, Nick Kew wrote:
>On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 16:17:16 -0500
>Stormy <st...@stormy.ca> wrote:
> > Appreciated.  Is it just a question of:
> >      $ sudo apt-get remove apache2-mpm-worker apache2-threaded-dev
> >      $ sudo apt-get install apache2-mpm-prefork
> > or do I need a complete remove/reinstall?
>
>That's a matter of how your distro packages it.  But it looks
>fine in principle.

The remove worked just fine, but I'm now going around in circles and would
really appreciate some assistance:

sudo apt-get install apache2-mpm-prefork
The following packages have unmet dependencies: apache2-mpm-prefork :
Depends: apache2.2-common (= 2.2.16-6+squeeze4) but it is not going to be
installed
Depends: apache2.2-bin (= 2.2.16-6+squeeze4) but 2.2.17-1ubuntu1.2 is to be
installed

sudo apt-get install apache2.2-bin
apache2.2-bin is already the newest version.

sudo apt-get install apache2.2-common
The following packages have unmet dependencies: apache2.2-common :
Depends: apache2.2-bin (= 2.2.16-6+squeeze4) but 2.2.17-1ubuntu1.2 is to be
installed

sudo apt-get install apache2.2-bin
apache2.2-bin is already the newest version.

Could someone please (and I realize that this might be distro dependant)
exactly what package[s] I need???

What is the squeeze4 and ubuntu1.2 reference?  I've tried looking for all
packages that approach these names (e.g apache2.2.17-1ubuntu1.2) with no
success.

Many thanks,

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
Stormy <st...@stormy.ca> wrote:

> Appreciated.  Is it just a question of:
>      $ sudo apt-get remove apache2-mpm-worker apache2-threaded-dev
>      $ sudo apt-get install apache2-mpm-prefork
> or do I need a complete remove/reinstall?

That's a matter of how your distro packages it.  But it looks
fine in principle.

> I'll also look into FastCGI - I've got no experience with it.
>
> Which would you prefer? (particularly for speed performance)

Try it and see!

If your load benefits from a threaded server than fastcgi is
probably best, because it leaves non-PHP requests unaffected.

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] worker, prefork, .apache2.conf.swp and php

Posted by Stormy <st...@stormy.ca>.
At 02:55 PM 12/9/2011 -0500, Mark Montague wrote:
>On December 9, 2011 13:30 , Stormy <st...@stormy.ca> wrote:
>>Apache2 2.2.17 on a possibly overbuilt (8 core CPU, 8 Gigs RAM, solid
>>state + raid drives) lightly loaded server using MySql, Perl and PHP.
>>Built using 'worker' rather than 'prefork' (Googling seemed to suggest
>>performance improvement under light loads) but now I'm reading various
>>reports that PHP could be troublesome (Debian User forum, "PHP5 stopped
>>working".)
[snip]
>PHP has had long-standing thread safety issues.  The "worker" MPM for
>Apache HTTP Server is threaded.  This can create problems and
>instability.  See
><http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.apache2>
>If you want to use PHP, either use the "prefork" MPM or FastCGI.

Appreciated.  Is it just a question of:
     $ sudo apt-get remove apache2-mpm-worker apache2-threaded-dev
     $ sudo apt-get install apache2-mpm-prefork
or do I need a complete remove/reinstall?

I'll also look into FastCGI - I've got no experience with it.

Which would you prefer? (particularly for speed performance)

Again thanks - Paul

Re: [users@httpd] worker, prefork, .apache2.conf.swp and php

Posted by Mark Montague <ma...@catseye.org>.
On December 9, 2011 13:30 , Stormy <st...@stormy.ca> wrote:
> Apache2 2.2.17 on a possibly overbuilt (8 core CPU, 8 Gigs RAM, solid
> state + raid drives) lightly loaded server using MySql, Perl and PHP.
> Built using 'worker' rather than 'prefork' (Googling seemed to suggest
> performance improvement under light loads) but now I'm reading various
> reports that PHP could be troublesome (Debian User forum, "PHP5
> stopped working".)
>
> Am I paranoid?  I found this while trying to find out about
> .apache2.conf.swp and am now totally confused.  Insight from the
> experts here would save my sanity.

What are you confused about?  Anyone can have problems with any software
system, PHP is not unique in this regard, nor is Apache.  Things very
rarely just "stop working", though, there is always an underlying
reason, even if it is not readily apparent.  This is why skilled system
administration and good service management practices are so important.

.apache2.conf.swp sounds like a temporary file created by vim or vi when
editing apache.conf.  It's possible that the editor was killed or died
while apache2.conf was being edited, leaving the .swp file behind.

   mark@catseye.org