Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Rini van de Wiel <ri...@hotmail.com> on 2004/06/01 15:01:22 UTC

POI - HPFS problem

Hi,

For our Document Management Solution we are currently looking at POI HPFS to change some custom properties in the DocumentSummaryInformation stream.

I am using poi-2.1-20040512 (from CVS) on MSOffice2000 Word-documents.

>From the point of POI everything seems OK. I'm using the POIBrowser to view the changes made, I can see the correct entries and my changes (in the DocumentSummaryInformation).

But when opening the document in Word our custom properties in the DocumentSummaryInformation are no longer displayed (File->Properties->Custom)

I found that the WriteAuthorAndTitle.java example, provided with the distibution,  (allthough changing basic properties in the SummaryInformation stream) has the same outcome
All custom properties (available in the input-file) don't display but are available according to the POIBrowser.

Can anybody elaborate on the 'problem',  am I missing something or ... ?

Regards,
Rini van de Wiel

Re: POI - HPFS problem

Posted by Rini van de Wiel <ri...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Rainer,

Just tested the changes you made to the MutableSection class. But sorting
doesn't seem to solve the problem.

We found that writing all section-properties with codepage 1252 (thus
ignoring the fact that HPFS currently only supports unicode) at least Word
can read the Custom properties.
At that point POI dev-version (2.1) can't read the resulting output (expects
1200?)  but the 2.5 version of POIBrowser can .

Another thing is that the destination file always is smaller then original
file...

Kind regards,
Rini van de Wiel

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.

Re: POI - HPFS problem

Posted by Rini van de Wiel <ri...@hotmail.com>.
We are currently looking into the problem to see if we can make a
contribution to POI-HPFS and this specific problem. We have very limited
time (one week), before a go-nogo decision for the use of POI in our project
has to be made.

We are investigating the use of codepages and the write methods of the
MutableXXX classes.

If anyone has some ideas or pointers to the issue...

Kind regards,
Rini van de Wiel

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.

Re: POI - HPFS problem

Posted by Rini van de Wiel <ri...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

I found an entry in de poi-dev-list (and a bugzilla entry) stating the same
problem I described earlier. The bug #27453 was posted beginning of march.

Does anybody now it's status.

thanks,
Rini