Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Luis Mariano Luporini <ll...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/24 22:55:24 UTC

Axis2 service level access by IP address

Hi,

I been trying since this morning to get around this but did not
succeeded. I'm starting to get a little frustrated so I think, by now,
the best path is to trust in others knowledge.

Anyway,  I'm using Axis2 1.2, Tomcat 6.0.10 and Sun J2SE 1.5.0.11 on FC5
Linux.

I'm trying to figure out a way to restrict access to services based on
client IP address.

Let's say I have 3 services:

1. MyPublicService: This needs to be available for any client IP address.
2. MyPrivateService: This needs to be available for my local subnet, for
example 192.168.0.0/24 only.
3. MyPremiumService: This needs to be available for a list of configured
IP addresses.

I need a way to restrict access following above requirements and without
the need to write code for that.

Is there a way to configure this behavior somewhere or I will need to
rely on some kind of reverse proxy (Apache, Lighty, etc) to control
access based on URL pattern matching and client IP?

Hope someone can give me a pointer.

Thanks in advance.

Luis

Re: Axis2 service level access by IP address

Posted by Luis Mariano Luporini <ll...@gmail.com>.
Well Paul, that is really great to hear. I will be trying these products.

I do not think I'll have a particular config, but anyway your help is
really appreciated.

I come from a C background and sometimes I'm a little hesitant when a
Java project involves with scalability matters. But again, I know am
overparanoid about it.

I've just realized that there is a C implementation of WSF and also a
PHP binding too. They could be really helpful to me.

I will do some simple testing on these products and provide feedback in
the next days.

Thanks for your help and valuable answers.

Regards,

Luis

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Luis

We are planning our 1.0 any day. We believe that Synapse is close to
production. If you have a specific config, we might be able to do some
extended testing in our test lab. And the ESB comes with full
production support.

Paul

On 5/24/07, Luis Mariano Luporini <ll...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul:
>
>     This seems very interesting. I will go deeper on it.
>
>     The only concern (at this point I spent just a few minutes
> navigating the sites) could be that I need to go to production with a
> solution and maybe I'll need too much test on these ones (I'm a little
> paranoid usually).
>
>     Anyway, these do seem very powerful.
>
>     I'll test them and provide feedback.
>
>     Thanks again for your help.
>
>     Luis
>
> Paul Fremantle escribió:
> > Another approach without using code is Apache Synapse
> > (http://ws.apache.org/synapse). In Synapse we offer the ability to do
> > Regex type matching on properties. The WSO2 throttling code is also
> > available on top of Synapse inside the WSO2 ESB
> > (http://wso2.org/projects/esb/java) (basically Synapse+ an AJAX GUI).
> >
> > Our early tests show that for 1k in/1k out messages sizes the overhead
> > of using Synapse is <1ms for simple routing. I imagine an IP based
> > check would fit into this range.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > On 5/24/07, Luis Mariano Luporini <ll...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Paul, you are right.
> >>
> >> I would like to handle this at a configuration level instead of relying
> >> on coding.
> >>
> >> I know I can make a module for this, think something like Marcello
> >> pointed to me some minutes ago
> >> (http://wso2.org/projects/commons/throttle).
> >>
> >> I was hoping to find a way to handle it natively in a tomcat/axis2 setup
> >> but maybe it's not yet there without involving code.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your response.
> >>
> >> Luis

> >> now,

> >> on FC5

> >> based on

> >> subnet, for
> >> configured

> >> without

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Axis2 service level access by IP address

Posted by Luis Mariano Luporini <ll...@gmail.com>.
Paul:

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Another approach without using code is Apache Synapse
(http://ws.apache.org/synapse). In Synapse we offer the ability to do
Regex type matching on properties. The WSO2 throttling code is also
available on top of Synapse inside the WSO2 ESB
(http://wso2.org/projects/esb/java) (basically Synapse+ an AJAX GUI).

Our early tests show that for 1k in/1k out messages sizes the overhead
of using Synapse is <1ms for simple routing. I imagine an IP based
check would fit into this range.

Paul

On 5/24/07, Luis Mariano Luporini <ll...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul, you are right.
>
> I would like to handle this at a configuration level instead of relying
> on coding.
>
> I know I can make a module for this, think something like Marcello
> pointed to me some minutes ago (http://wso2.org/projects/commons/throttle).
>
> I was hoping to find a way to handle it natively in a tomcat/axis2 setup
> but maybe it's not yet there without involving code.
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> Luis
>
> Paul Fremantle escribió:
> > Luis
> >
> > According to JIRA 1610 you can retrieve the IP address this way:
> > String remoteClientAddress =
> > messageContext.getProperty(MessageContext.REMOTE_ADDR);
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > On 5/24/07, Luis Mariano Luporini <ll...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I been trying since this morning to get around this but did not
> >> succeeded. I'm starting to get a little frustrated so I think, by now,
> >> the best path is to trust in others knowledge.
> >>
> >> Anyway,  I'm using Axis2 1.2, Tomcat 6.0.10 and Sun J2SE 1.5.0.11 on FC5
> >> Linux.
> >>
> >> I'm trying to figure out a way to restrict access to services based on
> >> client IP address.
> >>
> >> Let's say I have 3 services:
> >>
> >> 1. MyPublicService: This needs to be available for any client IP
> >> address.
> >> 2. MyPrivateService: This needs to be available for my local subnet, for
> >> example 192.168.0.0/24 only.
> >> 3. MyPremiumService: This needs to be available for a list of configured
> >> IP addresses.
> >>
> >> I need a way to restrict access following above requirements and without
> >> the need to write code for that.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to configure this behavior somewhere or I will need to
> >> rely on some kind of reverse proxy (Apache, Lighty, etc) to control
> >> access based on URL pattern matching and client IP?
> >>
> >> Hope someone can give me a pointer.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Luis

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Axis2 service level access by IP address

Posted by Luis Mariano Luporini <ll...@gmail.com>.
Paul, you are right.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Luis

According to JIRA 1610 you can retrieve the IP address this way:
String remoteClientAddress =
messageContext.getProperty(MessageContext.REMOTE_ADDR);

Paul

On 5/24/07, Luis Mariano Luporini <ll...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I been trying since this morning to get around this but did not
> succeeded. I'm starting to get a little frustrated so I think, by now,
> the best path is to trust in others knowledge.
>
> Anyway,  I'm using Axis2 1.2, Tomcat 6.0.10 and Sun J2SE 1.5.0.11 on FC5
> Linux.
>
> I'm trying to figure out a way to restrict access to services based on
> client IP address.
>
> Let's say I have 3 services:
>
> 1. MyPublicService: This needs to be available for any client IP address.
> 2. MyPrivateService: This needs to be available for my local subnet, for
> example 192.168.0.0/24 only.
> 3. MyPremiumService: This needs to be available for a list of configured
> IP addresses.
>
> I need a way to restrict access following above requirements and without
> the need to write code for that.
>
> Is there a way to configure this behavior somewhere or I will need to
> rely on some kind of reverse proxy (Apache, Lighty, etc) to control
> access based on URL pattern matching and client IP?
>
> Hope someone can give me a pointer.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Luis

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Axis2 service level access by IP address

Posted by Luis Mariano Luporini <ll...@gmail.com>.
Wow, that was a quick response.

I've just went to the link you provided, I will need to go deeper but it
may seem like a solution for my needs.

Anyway, I will have to test how this scales in production as opposed to
a proxy-like setup filtering directly on HTTP URL and client IP.

I will provide more info after researching on this.

Thanks Marcello, this was very helpful.

Luis