Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/08 10:39:18 UTC

[classlib][build]Lacks liblcms.a libpng.a and etc on Linux and recommend to add them to fetch-depends target

Hi, all
     Current harmony build script on linux requires liblcms.a libpng.a and
several .h files such as png.h but not installed on my redhat linux
platform. Although as the script prompts out, ubuntu can download such files
seperately, while other platform such as my redhat or suse, rpm might be the
only source to get new softwares from internet which leads to a lot of
troubles. For examples, the dependency between those rpms and the default
installation destinations of these rpms are not the places Harmony script
expects.
     So, I think, it will be good if the build script can download these
required files automatically when they are absent.
--
Leo Li
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [classlib][build]Lacks liblcms.a libpng.a and etc on Linux and recommend to add them to fetch-depends target

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Saturday 14 October 2006 09:56 Tim Ellison wrote:
> Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> > As to rpm packages, send me a email directly, please write which version
> > of redhat you have installed. I am sure I can help you with installing
> > the necessary packages.
>
> Why won't you do that publicly, i.e. on the website ?  or is the offer
> open to everyone to mail you directly <g>

I didn't think it is a big deal to discuss where to get lcms devel for redhat.
It's a matter of package manager specific to the distribution official
repository.

Re: [classlib][build]Lacks liblcms.a libpng.a and etc on Linux and recommend to add them to fetch-depends target

Posted by Oleg Khaschansky <ol...@gmail.com>.
> I am trying to build DRLVM+classlibs on RedHat Enterprise Linux 4
> update 4, and am having the similar problems to Leo.  I cannot find
> any official package which provides icc34.h (I've tried searching
> with up2date).
icc34.h is included into liblcms sources. It's possible to download
the sources using this link: [1].

> An even more annoying problem exists on Fedora Core 5 because the
> libjpeg-devel package does not contain "/usr/lib/libjpeg.a"
Use instructions from [2] to build the dependencies.

[1] http://www.littlecms.com/lcms-1.14.tar.gz
[2]http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/depends/libs/build/README.txt?view=markup

Posted by Oleg Khaschansky <ol...@gmail.com>.
> I don't have this file either. Do you mean icu library headers?
No, this header is from lcms.

> I think the build for classlib was changed to use lib*.so libraries
> instead of static ones. Do you use up to date revision?
I don't think so. JPEG decoder doesn't use native wrappers and links
statically against libjpeg.

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Naveen Neelakantam <ne...@uiuc.edu>.
Hello Gregory,

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> As to rpm packages, send me a email directly, please write which version of
> redhat you have installed. I am sure I can help you with installing the
> necessary packages.

Why won't you do that publicly, i.e. on the website ?  or is the offer
open to everyone to mail you directly <g>

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [classlib][build]Lacks liblcms.a libpng.a and etc on Linux and recommend to add them to fetch-depends target

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Gregory:

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 11 October 2006 at 3:14, Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday 09 October 2006 19:54 Oliver Deakin wrote:
>>
>>> I see that you already said pretty much the same thing I did on another
>>> thread [1].
>>>
>>> IMHO we should make sure that if the fetch-depends target finds it
>>> cannot sym
>>> link to preinstalled system libraries, then the user is clearly informed
>>> so they have
>>> the choice to install them without having the archived file versions
>>> unpacked. So
>>> perhaps the fetch-depends step should still fail with a message saying
>>> something like
>>> "Could not resolve these dependencies, either build/install these
>>> packages manually
>>> or you can run this other target to have the archived versions unpacked
>>> into your
>>> dependency tree". (Hopefully a little clearer than that ;) )
>>>
>> This sounds very much like a configure script.
>>

> Indeed, and we may well end up with one of those at some point.
>

>> Check for installed libraries, fail if something is missing. I like it :)
>>

> I would like to be more helpful if we can.  Yesterday, I added the
> details of the required packages for Fedora Core 5.  Hopefully others
> will help get the instructions up dated for distributions they use.
> Otherwise, I will try to add instructions for recent SLES and RHEL in
> the next week or so.

Thanks for doing that Mark.

>> On Linux however all libraries are present in distributions (I buy you
>> a beer if you name a single Linux distribution which doesn't include
>> necessary development packages, knoppix not counted).
>>

> I'll get my better half to start making more room in the fridge while I
> go through the list of distros at:
>
>   http://lwn.net/Distributions/
>
> I reckon I should get at least a six-pack just out of the embedded
> section alone. ;-)

Not if I get there first - thanks for the link ;)

>> Only Windows distribution doesn't include them, so for convenience
>> windows binaries may be cached for download on harmony site.
>>

> In time I expect we'll do the same for others like MacOS X, Aix, etc.

Yes, agreed - we should use the system libraries where possible as a
first choice, and
supply instructions for getting the required packages for those who
havnt already got
them. For OSes that do not distribute these libraries, we should provide
precompiled
binaries where possible, or at least some instructions on where to go
get them.

Regards,
Oliver

> Regards,
>  Mark.

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited

Re: [classlib][build]Lacks liblcms.a libpng.a and etc on Linux and recommend to add them to fetch-depends target

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Monday 09 October 2006 19:54 Oliver Deakin wrote:
> I see that you already said pretty much the same thing I did on another
> thread [1].
>
> IMHO we should make sure that if the fetch-depends target finds it
> cannot sym
> link to preinstalled system libraries, then the user is clearly informed
> so they have
> the choice to install them without having the archived file versions
> unpacked. So
> perhaps the fetch-depends step should still fail with a message saying
> something like
> "Could not resolve these dependencies, either build/install these
> packages manually
> or you can run this other target to have the archived versions unpacked
> into your
> dependency tree". (Hopefully a little clearer than that ;) )

This sounds very much like a configure script.

Check for installed libraries, fail if something is missing. I like it :)

On Linux however all libraries are present in distributions (I buy you a beer
if you name a single Linux distribution which doesn't include necessary
development packages, knoppix not counted). Only Windows distribution doesn't

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
[...]

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200610.mbox/%3c4523C7FB.6080608@pobox.com%3e

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> I was thinking the same thing, but didn't think it all the way through...
>
> On Oct 9, 2006, at 9:11 AM, Oliver Deakin wrote:
>
>> Can we provide archives of these dependencies in our svn (or
>> wherever) as
>> a fallback if fetch-depends cannot find them installed on the local
>> system?
>> Dont we do something like that on Windows at the moment?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Oliver
>>

>> Leo Li wrote:
>>> Hi, Alexey:
>>>     No I do not installed the developer versions of these rpms, but
>>> I have
>>> made it work...mm after struggling.... The same rpm has different
>>> configurations due to different providers. For examples, those from
>>> rpmfind
>>> and those redhat iteself provides.
>>>     So I recommend Harmony to provide such required files if possbile.

>> --Oliver Deakin
>> IBM United Kingdom Limited

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited

Re: [classlib][build]Lacks liblcms.a libpng.a and etc on Linux and recommend to add them to fetch-depends target

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Alexey:

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
On 8 October 2006 at 16:39, "Leo Li" <li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, all
>      Current harmony build script on linux requires liblcms.a libpng.a and
> several .h files such as png.h but not installed on my redhat linux
> platform. Although as the script prompts out, ubuntu can download such files
> seperately, while other platform such as my redhat or suse, rpm might be the
> only source to get new softwares from internet which leads to a lot of
> troubles. For examples, the dependency between those rpms and the default
> installation destinations of these rpms are not the places Harmony script
> expects.
>      So, I think, it will be good if the build script can download these
> required files automatically when they are absent.

Can you not just use yum or whatever tools Red Hat provides?  Can you
document what you had to do?

Regards,
 Mark.