Posted to dev@tiles.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/23 15:48:39 UTC

Texen or Velocity.Texen? (Same question for Anakia)

Hi all
I noticed that inside Velocity Engine there are the "anakia" and
"texen" along with test cases.
It's really their place? Aren't Anakia and Texen separate projects?

Thanks
Antonio

Re: Texen or Velocity.Texen? (Same question for Anakia)

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
Darn GMail, too easy to use. I type "dev" and I forget *always* that
there are two "dev's" in my contact address...

Sorry again for the noise.

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.
They are deprecated.  We pulled them out into separate subprojects a few
years ago, but kept the old classes inside the Velocity Engine for
compatibility.

WILL

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2010/6/23 Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>:
> Sorry that i didn't think to mention that earlier. :(

No problem, I did not do much work, and much of the problems I will
see are in the tests, for which the only advancement I did were in the
concepts, not in code.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
No, 1.7 is the main branch.  The next major Engine release will be
1.7.   However, my hope is that that will be the last 1.x release.  I
think it is time to drop a lot of the dead weight deprecations and
backwards compatibility hacks and leave 1.x behind for a new, freer
2.x branch.   The 2.0_Exp branch will probably serve as the basis for
that.

And yeah, now that you mention it, 2.x is probably the best starting
point for a Maven reorg, since we are almost certainly not going to do
the Maven switch in 1.7 (already in beta) and there hopefully won't be
a 1.8.  Sorry that i didn't think to mention that earlier. :(

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/engine/branches/2.0_Exp

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
They started out life as components of "Velocity".  A few years back
we broke "Velocity" into Engine, Anakia and Texen.  However, for
backwards compatibility reasons, the embedded Anaki and Texen were
simply deprecated in Engine 1.x, not removed.  In Engine 2.x, they