Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Alex Soto <al...@envieta.com> on 2018/05/01 13:35:12 UTC

Snappy compression with Pig

Hello,

I am using Pig 0.17.0 and I am trying to enable Snappy compression for temporary files.
I installed Snappy on all the Hadoop nodes:

	sudo yum install snappy snappy-devel
	ln -sf /usr/lib64/libsnappy.so /opt/hadoop/lib/native/

Yum installed the following packages:

Installed Packages
Name        : snappy
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 1.1.0
Release     : 3.el7
Size        : 117 k
Repo        : installed
From repo   : anaconda
Summary     : Fast compression and decompression library
URL         : http://code.google.com/p/snappy/
License     : BSD
Description : Snappy is a compression/decompression library. It does not aim for maximum
            : compression, or compatibility with any other compression library; instead, it
            : aims for very high speeds and reasonable compression. For instance, compared to
            : the fastest mode of zlib, Snappy is an order of magnitude faster for most
            : inputs, but the resulting compressed files are anywhere from 20% to 100%
            : bigger.

Name        : snappy-devel
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 1.1.0
Release     : 3.el7
Size        : 29 k
Repo        : installed
From repo   : base
Summary     : Development files for snappy
URL         : http://code.google.com/p/snappy/
License     : BSD
Description : The snappy-devel package contains libraries and header files for
            : developing applications that use snappy.

In the pig.properties file, I made the following changes:

pig.tmpfilecompression=true
pig.tmpfilecompression.storage=seqfile
pig.tmpfilecompression.codec=snappy

Now, when I run my script, I get this error:

java.lang.ClassCastException: class org.xerial.snappy.SnappyCodec

In my Pig’s lib directory I can see this jar:

snappy-java-1.1.1.3.jar

Looks like incompatible version, but I can’t find any information regarding which version of Snappy is compatible with this version of Pig.
I will appreciate any input on this.

Best regards,
Alex soto

Re: Snappy compression with Pig