Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2007/07/08 15:12:56 UTC

[HttpClient] Building HttpClient against official releases of HttpCore

Roland (and all)

I would like to check in the patch contributed by Anrea Selva, which
will render HttpClient trunk API incompatible with HttpCore trunk. I
think it is about time we started building HttpClient against official
releases of HttpCore instead of snapshots. The HttpClient POM already
depends on HttpCore 4.0-alpha5 instead of 4.0-alpha6-snapshot, so those
who build HttpClient using Maven will not be affected. I realize this
change will break your local Ant script, but I think this is a necessary
change, so please let me know if you can live with that.

Oleg

Re: [HttpClient] Building HttpClient against official releases of HttpCore

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 15:47 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hm, on second thoughts... what does that mean for
> development of HttpClient beyond alpha1? We can't
> make it compile against core alpha6 until that is
> released? Every change required in core for client
> must be implemented in core and released before we
> can change client to use the new API?
>
> How about building client against alpha5 until
> the release is out, and then syncing with the
> core snapshot again?

Sure. Makes sense. As we may freeze the API as of the next release it
should become much easier to change HttpCore dependency form a release
to a snapshot.

Oleg

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
ACK