Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by sjm <sj...@porter.acadaff.appstate.edu> on 2003/05/13 15:16:46 UTC

[users@httpd] Nesting the Files section in httpd.conf

I am looking for an example of the correct way to nest a Files section inside a
Directory section in the httpd.conf file.  I have searched through the apache
site and google and can't find one.  Here are the (I think) relative sections of
my httpd.conf (just in case I am using the Files section properly and have
something else messed up):

<Directory "/var/www/html">
     Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
     AllowOverride AuthConfig
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>

<Directory /var/www/html/sitename/maint/users/>
     AllowOverride AuthConfig

     <Files var/www/html/sitename/maint/users/protected.file>
         AuthType Basic
         AuthName "Protected File"
         Require user user_name
     </Files>
</Directory>

<VirtualHost *>
     ServerAdmin webmaster@hostname.edu
     DocumentRoot /var/www/html/sitename
     ServerName sitename
     ErrorLog /path/to/error_log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
     ServerAdmin webmaster@hostname.edu
     DocumentRoot /var/www/html/sitename
     ServerName www.hostname.edu
     ErrorLog /path/to/error_log
     Options Indexes ExecCGI
</VirtualHost>

but it doesn't work.  It works if I protect the whole directory by removing the
File section tags.

Thanks for your time,

/*-----------------------------*\
|                               |
|    Steve McKinney             |
|    ARDI - Web Programmer      |
|    sjm@porter.appstate.edu    |
|    (828) 262-6553             |
|                               |
\*-----------------------------*/

Re: [users@httpd] Nesting the Files section in httpd.conf

Posted by William Wilson <wi...@appliedgenerics.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] Nesting the Files section in httpd.conf

Posted by Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com>.
On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 02:37:02PM +0100, William Wilson wrote:
> Don't nest the 'files' directive inside a 'directory' directive, simply
> include it in your server config section. You'll probably need a leading
> slash on your opening <Files (your path here)> directive.

ermm...I think you need to take a look at the doco you pointed the OP at:

    "Note that <Files> can be nested inside <Directory> sections to
     restrict the portion of the filesystem they apply to."

Zac

Re: [users@httpd] Nesting the Files section in httpd.conf

Posted by sjm <sj...@porter.acadaff.appstate.edu>.
Apache starts fine.  I restart it everytime I change httpd.conf, and then check
the error log.  I then type in the URL and the page displays with no
authorization.  The error log doesn't mention not being able to find the
.htpasswd file or anything.  I do not have it nested within an <IfModule ...>
directive.  I don't think you're being patronizing.  I have only been using
apache for a year, and am still very much in the learning process.

-Thanks again,
Steve

William Wilson wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 May 2003 14:58, sjm wrote:
>

>>"...Note that <Files> can be nested inside <Directory> sections to restrict
>>the portion of the filesystem they apply to."
>>
>>	-- http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#files
>

> Yep, Zac just pointed this out. You're both quite right. It does appear that
> they're nestable. I've never used them that way, hence my original reply. And
> if it was nested inside the directory you think it would resolve against the
> directory path, as the doc suggest.
>

>>I am now using this:
>>
>><Directory /var/www/html/sitename/maint/users/>
>>     AllowOverride AuthConfig
>></Directory>
>>
>><Files /var/www/html/sitename/maint/users/protected.file>
>>     AuthType Basic
>>     AuthName "Protected File"
>>     AuthUserFile /path/to/.htpasswd
>>     Require user user_name
>></Files>
>>
>>and it doesn't work either.
>

> Forgive me if I'm being patronising; do you have the above enclosed in an
> <IfModule ...> directive? And when you say it doesn't work, does apache start
> OK with no complaints but just not respond in the manner you expect?
>

> Will
>

> - --
> Will Wilson
>
> Applied Generics Ltd
> Pentlands Science Park
> Bush Loan, Penicuik
> Scotland, EH26 OPZ
>
> william.wilson@appliedgenerics.com
> Tel: +44 870 240 3694
> Fax: +44 870 706 5818

/*-----------------------------*\
|                               |
|    Steve McKinney             |
|    ARDI - Web Programmer      |
|    sjm@porter.appstate.edu    |
|    (828) 262-6553             |
|                               |
\*-----------------------------*/

Re: [users@httpd] Nesting the Files section in httpd.conf

Posted by William Wilson <wi...@appliedgenerics.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] Nesting the Files section in httpd.conf

Posted by sjm <sj...@porter.acadaff.appstate.edu>.
Here is where I thought it was possible to nest the Files section inside the
directory section.  The missing leading slash was a dumb mistake, thanks for
pointing it out!

"...Note that <Files> can be nested inside <Directory> sections to restrict the
portion of the filesystem they apply to."

	-- http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#files

I am now using this:

<Directory /var/www/html/sitename/maint/users/>
     AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

<Files /var/www/html/sitename/maint/users/protected.file>
     AuthType Basic
     AuthName "Protected File"
     AuthUserFile /path/to/.htpasswd
     Require user user_name
</Files>

and it doesn't work either.

Any suggestions?

William Wilson wrote:

/*-----------------------------*\
|                               |
|    Steve McKinney             |
|    ARDI - Web Programmer      |
|    sjm@porter.appstate.edu    |
|    (828) 262-6553             |
|                               |
\*-----------------------------*/

Re: [users@httpd] Nesting the Files section in httpd.conf

Posted by William Wilson <wi...@appliedgenerics.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] Nesting the Files section in httpd.conf

Posted by sjm <sj...@porter.acadaff.appstate.edu>.
Thank you once again.  The reason it was not working was an error on my part.
Just to confirm: You do not need AllowOverride in this case like Joshua stated.

-Steve

Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2003, sjm wrote:
>

>>hmmm... I just found a slight problem with it...  It tries to protect every file
>>in the directory, not just protected.file!
>>
>>I commented out the directory section tags along with the AllowOverride
>>AuthConfig line.  What happened really blew my mind...  It protected every file
>>in the directory except protected.file!
>>
>>Any suggestions for this problem?
>

> AllowOverride should not be there in the first place, since that controls
> only .htaccess files.
>
> You almost certainly have either an .htaccess file or another section in
> your config file that is overriding your configuration directives.  Try
> simplifying your config.
>
> Joshua.

/*-----------------------------*\
|                               |
|    Steve McKinney             |
|    ARDI - Web Programmer      |
|    sjm@porter.appstate.edu    |
|    (828) 262-6553             |
|                               |
\*-----------------------------*/

Re: [users@httpd] Nesting the Files section in httpd.conf

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by sjm <sj...@porter.acadaff.appstate.edu>.
hmmm... I just found a slight problem with it...  It tries to protect every file
in the directory, not just protected.file!

I commented out the directory section tags along with the AllowOverride
AuthConfig line.  What happened really blew my mind...  It protected every file
in the directory except protected.file!

Any suggestions for this problem?

-steve

sjm wrote:

> Awesome!  Thanks Joshua!
>
> Here's the final answer I am using for anyone that may find it useful:
>
> <Directory /var/www/html/sitename/maint/users/>
>     AllowOverride AuthConfig
>
>     <Files protected.file>
>         AuthType Basic
>         AuthName "Protected File"
>         AuthUserFile /path/to/.htpasswd
>         Require user user_name
>     </Files>
> </Directory>
>
> Thanks again,
> Steve
>
> Joshua Slive wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 May 2003, sjm wrote:
>>
>>>     <Files var/www/html/sitename/maint/users/protected.file>
>>

>> <Files> takes a filename as an argument, not a full path.  You want
>> <Files
>> protected.file>
>>
>> Joshua.

/*-----------------------------*\
|                               |
|    Steve McKinney             |
|    ARDI - Web Programmer      |
|    sjm@porter.appstate.edu    |
|    (828) 262-6553             |
|                               |
\*-----------------------------*/

Re: [users@httpd] Nesting the Files section in httpd.conf

Posted by sjm <sj...@porter.acadaff.appstate.edu>.
Awesome!  Thanks Joshua!

Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Tue, 13 May 2003, sjm wrote:
>
>>     <Files var/www/html/sitename/maint/users/protected.file>
>

> <Files> takes a filename as an argument, not a full path.  You want <Files
> protected.file>
>
> Joshua.

/*-----------------------------*\
|                               |