Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> on 2008/11/19 10:22:08 UTC

JVM/Tomcat startup parameters, HPUX

Hi.

On a customer HPUX B.11.11 system that we are (remotely and partially)
managing, I would like to know with which java options (default or
otherwise) the JVM is being started, particularly the options regarding
memory usage by the JVM and Tomcat.

Tomcat runs as follows (ps -ex output) :

  19866 pts/2     0:21 /opt/java1.5/bin/PA_RISC2.0/java
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-XdoCloseWithReadPending
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/opt/hpws/tomcat/common/endorsed -classpath
:/opt/hpws/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/hpws/tomcat/bin/commons-logging-api.jar
-Dcatalina.base=/opt/hpws/tomcat -Dcatalina.home=/opt/hpws/tomcat
-Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/hpws/tomcat/temp
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

"top" shows the following for that process :
                                  SIZE   RES
  1 pts/2 19866 root     152 20  1291M   199M run      0:23  0.38  0.38 java

"/opt/hpws/tomcat/bin/version.sh" shows the following :

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/hpws/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/hpws/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/hpws/tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /opt/java1.5
Server version: Apache Tomcat/5.5.9
Server built:   Oct 22 2005 03:27:12
Server number:  5.5.0.0
OS Name:        HP-UX
OS Version:     B.11.11
Architecture:   PA_RISC2.0
JVM Version:    1.5.0.07-_20_mar_2007_05_31
JVM Vendor:     Hewlett-Packard Company

I cannot find in any of the startup scripts being used, any particular
Java "-X" options being set.
I thus imagine it is using default options, but which are these ?
Is there a default startup script that the JVM uses for that somewhere ?

Thanks

RE: JVM/Tomcat startup parameters, HPUX

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: JVM/Tomcat startup parameters, HPUX
>
> I think the only way to observe effective memory settings is to either
> run jmap against the running process, or examine it from within by
> interrogating the Runtime object. You can also attach a
> debugger to it, of course.

JConsole will provide all the requested information (and much more), assuming the HP JVM will accommodate it.  Look at the VM Summary tab for the startup options and general heap status; use the Memory tab for details about the heap.

If you run JConsole on the same machine as Tomcat, you don't even need to set the com.sun.management.jmxremote system property to look at the basic data.

 - Chuck

Re: JVM/Tomcat startup parameters, HPUX

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: JVM/Tomcat startup parameters, HPUX

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Most of these are set via catalina.sh (which you don't want to touch).

But if you wish to add your own -X params. See
/opt/hpws/tomcat/bin/setenv.sh

In there - you'll see that HP already has added
CATALINA_OPTS="-XdoCloseWithReadPending"

-Tim