Posted to dev@metamodel.apache.org by Tomasz Guziałek <to...@apache.org> on 2015/11/28 10:31:57 UTC

[DISCUSS] Checking-in "red" unit tests reproducing bugs.

Hello everyone,

I would like to discuss with you what would be the preferred way to
checking-in code that is a unit test reproducing an issue, but not fixing
it.

I created branches in my own fork of MetaModel with failing unit tests for
several tickets. Currently only one of them is still open and no fix is on
the way:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/METAMODEL-167

Such branches should not be merged into master as the build will fail, but
they are a valuable documentation of the issues. As mentioned, the branches
live only in a fork, but maybe we should consider checking-in them into the
main repo?

I am starting the discussion right now, because I would like to nuke my own
fork soon. I made some commits on my fork's master branch by mistake and it
keeps polluting subsequent branches I create. I know that is probably
killing the fly with a bazooka, but it will save me much time carefully
fixing the mess.

I would love to hear your suggestions regarding the process how we deal
with "red" branches in MetaModel - no doubt that the situatio of
reproducing bugs with unit tests will come up again in the nearest future.

Re: [DISCUSS] Checking-in "red" unit tests reproducing bugs.

Posted by Alberto Rodriguez <ar...@stratio.com>.
In Scala, the test frameworks allow you to include a "pendingUntilFixed"
annotation [1]. IMHO this is a really good way to check-in tests that are
still pending.

Not sure how to mimic this behaviour with plain junit though :(

[1]
https://etorreborre.github.io/specs2/guide/SPECS2-3.5/org.specs2.guide.PendingUntilFixedExamples.html

Alberto Rodriguez

Vía de las dos Castillas, 33, Ática 4, 3ª Planta
28224 Pozuelo de Alarcón, Madrid
Tel: +34 91 828 6473 // www.stratio.com // *@stratiobd
<https://twitter.com/StratioBD>*

Posted by Tomasz Guziałek <to...@guzialek.info>.