Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2003/12/22 16:47:27 UTC

Re: Subversion and Apache1/Tomcat

On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 10:52, Andreas Schildbach wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> now that Subversion is approaching 1.0, are there any plans to also
> support Subversion Repositories hosted on Apache1 or Tomcat Servers?
> Apache2 is still not very common...

No, mod_dav_svn depends on the Apache2 API, and it will never be
backported to apache1.  If you don't want to give up apache1, run
apache1 and apache2 side-by-side.  Or use svnserve instead of apache.

Re: Subversion and Apache1/Tomcat

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net> writes:
> > No, mod_dav_svn depends on the Apache2 API, and it will never be
> > backported to apache1.
>
> A fine example of the costs of uncontrolled API drift.  A deprecation
> strategy for API drift would have left the Apache1 mod APIs working in
> Apache2, only removing them in Apache3.

Is this an example of what you think it is?

I understood the above to mean that mod_dav_svn was written for an API
that didn't exist until Apache2.  No Apache1->Apache2 compatibility
strategy could make code written specifically for Apache2 work in
Apache1.  I mean, the point of release 2 is that it has new
stuff... If you depend on the new stuff, then you don't work with just
the old stuff.

-K

Re: Subversion and Apache1/Tomcat

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
On Dec 22, 2003, at 8:47 AM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> No, mod_dav_svn depends on the Apache2 API, and it will never be
> backported to apache1.

A fine example of the costs of uncontrolled API drift.  A deprecation
strategy for API drift would have left the Apache1 mod APIs working in
Apache2, only removing them in Apache3.

-==-
Jack Repenning
CollabNet, Inc.