Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Argyn Kuketayev <Ar...@plateau.com> on 2002/06/18 17:19:17 UTC

FYI: performance tests

We are playing with Cocoon's performance tests. Here's some results, if u r
interested.

We run everything on my dual Pentium III, 1.4 Ghz, 2Gb RAM. Cocoon 2.0.3,
WebLogic 6.1sp2, under Sun jdk1.3.1 hotspot.

I'm generating a PDF document in three steps: generation XSP+ESQL,
transformation XSL-FO, serialization to PDF with FOP serializer.

1. I've read here that Saxon is faster than the default transformer. I
changed a transformer to Saxon, I didn't notice any increase in performance
running one concurrent user.
Time to generate PDF is: 3.1 sec, size 19Kb, 13 pages.
XSP+ESQL serialized into XML takes 1.2 secs, size 55Kb
XSL-FO takes 1.6 secs, size 103Kb

2. Load test. We run the script on other PC over 100Mbps network. It logs on
100 concurrent users, they launch the same PDF report several times.
Average time to generate the same PDF report is ~41 secs.

3. Sun JDK 1.3.1 in classic VM runs at least 2 times slower.

4. JRockit runs Cocoon faster with a single user, we didn't test it yet with
multiple users. Also, JRockit is unpredicatble, sometime it's very fast,
then gets slower.
Time to generate PDF is: 2.6 sec, size 19Kb, 13 pages.
XSP+ESQL serialized into XML takes 1 secs, size 55Kb
XSL-FO takes 1.4 secs, size 103Kb

5. Instead of PDF, I used fo2html from www.renderex.com to generate HTML
files (size 72Kb). The same document takes 1.9 secs to generate with both
Sun JVM and JRockit.

6. We have "old" code to make PDF files, it uses rootriver component. It
imperatively creates PDF files. In the same load test it was able to
generate a document in avg 21 secs, twice faster than with Cocoon.

Argyn