Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rainer Klute <ra...@gmx.de> on 2011/08/16 12:46:10 UTC

[vfs] Accessing Excel files and sheets with VFS

Hi all,

I am considering to use resp. extend Apache Commons VFS by a component
accessing Excel files (via Apache POI). The Excel file as such would be
a "folder", the sheets contained in it are "files". The result would be
commited to the VFS project.

However, before starting, I have to clarify the general feasibility.
Therefore I'd like to know whether people are around here who are
acquainted with the VFS architecture and can give some advice here and
there. I must admit I am a bit sceptical, because VFS-related traffic on
the mailing lists is low and the web site claims to be of 2008 – quite
old. Oh, and yes, I am new to VFS.

Initially I have the following questions:

    * Does VFS support nested file systems? That is, can I use VFS to
      navigate e.g. a local file system, check individual nodes and then
      proceed more or less transparently to another type of file system?
      Example: What happens if you traverse local file system and
      encouter a ZIP file? Does VFS handle it as a directory and proceed
      with the traversal in the ZIP archive? It should be possible to do
      the same with Excel files.
    * While an Excel file as such can be read and written using
      InputStream and OutputStream, sheets within the file cannot. Using
      POI, you rather create a org.apache.poi.ss.usermodel.Workbook
      instance from an Excel file and then use Workbook methods to
      access the sheets. Would this approach fit into the VFS architecture?

Okay, that's for today. Now I am excitedly waiting for your replies.
Thanks!/
/
--

Rainer Klute
Software-Architekt

Telefon: +49 (0) 231 / 98 60-189
Telefax: +49 (0) 231 / 98 60-211
Mobil: +49 (0) 151 / 17396741
       +49 (0) 172 / 2324824

http://www.itemis.de/
rainer.klute@itemis.de
https://www.xing.com/profile/Rainer_Klute2
itemis AG
Am Brambusch 15-24
44536 Lünen

OpenPGP-Fingerprint: E4E4386515EE0BED5C162FBB5343461584B5A42E
- Wenn deine E-Mail vertraulicher als eine Postkarte sein soll...

Rechtlicher Hinweis:
Amtsgericht Dortmund, HRB 20621
Vorstand: Jens Wagener (Vors.), Wolfgang Neuhaus, Dr. Georg Pietrek, Jens Trompeter, Sebastian Neus