Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/07 04:42:23 UTC

Fwd: Am I allowed to generate, enhance and republish a JavaDoc of an Apache project?

I asked this on Apache legal list but got no reply. So, I thought I'll
try again for the group it will affect directly (project not mentioned
below is Solr).

Any opinion on legality, usefulness or possibly underlying causes of
the original problem would be appreciated.

Regards,
   Alex.
Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Shawn, these are neat tricks.

I did find a couple of similar tricks with the versions. But I keep
forgetting them and sometimes even that does not help.

Additionally, the way Javadocs are built, the cross-links do not work
too well. The classes are split between build modules and if you want
to go up and down the inheritance hierarchy that spins multiple
modules (or Solr/Lucene divide) you do not even get told those classes
exist. So, it becomes a case of knowing that it exists to look for it.

I am not saying it is terrible, just that perhaps it can be made
better. And I want to experiment with making it better. So I need a
freedom to experiment faster than official release policy.

Regards,
   Alex.
P.s. I am not a SEO expert either. Once I learn to be one with this
and/or other projects, I would be more than happy to contribute my
skills back to the official documentation.
at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.