Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Ashok Kumar <as...@yahoo.com> on 2016/03/06 19:03:44 UTC

Updating column in table throws error

 Hi gurus,
I have an ORC table bucketed on invoicenumber with "transactional"="true"
I am trying to update invoicenumber column used for bucketing this table but it comes back with
Error: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: SemanticException [Error 10302]: Updating values of bucketing columns is not supported.  Column invoicenumber
Any ideas how it can be solved?
Thank you

Re: Updating column in table throws error

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

This update will throw an error as any column used for bucketing (read for
hash partitioning) cannot be updated as it is used for physical ordering of
rows in the table.

HTH

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com