Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu> on 2002/12/16 17:36:52 UTC

RE: Almost there...Updated Apach-Tomcat with mod_jk .. please he lp!

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Denise Mangano wrote:

> I do have appropriate permissions, as I have been able to stop it before.
> There is no error message being logged when I try to stop it.
>
> I ran ps -A which listed all processes.  httpd (apache) was not one of them.
> I am assuming PID means Port ID(?), and neither 443 nor 80 was listed...
> This is all very strange and I am starting to sense that I will have to
> reinstall Apache...

PID is Process ID (PPID is Parent Process ID) -- every process has a
unique ID number, that's one way (the main way) to identify them.
FWIW, I use ps -ef myself (the main page says -e is the same as -A,
and -f gives a "full" listing -- i.e. more info).

And, um, this isn't Windows, if something's not working quite right,
reinstalling it is not the solution :-).  It's a matter of figuring
out the correct configuration and/or the correct way of running
things.

Is Apache running currently?  Does the web server respond?  If so,
there's got to be some apache/httpd process running.  What user is it
running as?  Are you sure you're checking all the processes for all
the users?

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu