Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/06 12:27:36 UTC

Using MMapDirectory

Hey there,

For testing purpose I am trying to use lucene's MMapDirectory in a recent
Solr nightly instance. I have read in Lucene's documentation:
"To use MMapDirectory, invoke Java with the System property
org.apache.lucene.FSDirectory.class set to
org.apache.lucene.store.MMapDirectory. This will cause
FSDirectory.getDirectory(File,boolean) to return instances of this class. "

Do I have to change something in solrconfig.xml or modifying system property
is just enough?
Thanks in advance.

Re: Using MMapDirectory

Posted by Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hey I've been testing MMapDirectory with a Debian and with just couple of
cores (1G each index) in the box it seems to give a bit better performance
with a cold index. But I don't think is good enough (not in my use case)
knowing the memory it requires.
When doing an snapinstaller (using MMap) tomcat will keep the files of the
old index as "deleted" and will not free them until a full garbage
collection is done.
Increasing to 6 cores in the box I am experience some trouble (not enough
memory).

Re: Using MMapDirectory

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Using MMapDirectory