Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jonathan Steffan <jo...@bandwidthmarket.com> on 2005/08/19 05:03:57 UTC

Apache, Mod_Perl Upgrade

After much work, I have installed perl 5.8.7 with all the modules I
need. I had to upgrade to Apache 2.0.54 from 2.0.40 to be able to
install mod_perl2. The new server seems to be working. I still have not
gotten anything running. I'm stuck with a problem with mod_php and the
server just not starting. However, my plesk control server is still
working. Not sure how...

[root@bwmvdedicated modules]# /etc/init.d/httpd start
Starting httpd: Syntax error on line 1 of
/usr/local/apache2/conf.d/php.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/apache2/modules/libphp4.so into server:
/usr/local/apache2/modules/libphp4.so: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory

File is deffinitly not there. Any help or direction would be great.

-Jon

Re: Apache, Mod_Perl Upgrade

Posted by Tom Schindl <to...@gmx.at>.

Re: Apache, Mod_Perl Upgrade

Posted by Jonathan Steffan <jo...@bandwidthmarket.com>.
Tom Schindl wrote:

>>I went back to my 2.0.40 install of Apache. The 2.0.54 was not playing
>>nice with plesk. How do I update the @INC path and/or mod_perl for the
>>new perl 5.8.7? I try using CPAN with install Bundle::Apache and no go.
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>-Jon
>>

>I not sure if there have been API changes since 2.0.40 and 2.0.54 but
>compiling mod-perl-2.x with apache 2.0.54 and use it with 2.0.40 this
>will certainly lead to very strange situations you.
>
>As in the message before there's nothing wrong when running 2.0.40 if
>your plesk system needs it and install your own apache-2.0.54 and run it
>on a different port (e.g. 81).
>
>As already said before als compiling Apache-2.0.x is straight forward
>and nothing you could not manage without reading the bundled
>INSTALL-File(s).
>
>Default-Install-Procedure:
>- ------------------8<------------------
>tar xzvf stable.tar.gz
>cd perl-5.8.7/
>sh ./Configure -de -Dprefix=/opt/myperl
>make
>make test
>su
>make install
>exit
>cd ..
>tar xjvf httpd-2.0.54.tar.bz2
>cd httpd-2.0.54
>./configure --prefix=/opt/myapache
>make
>make install
>vi /opt/myapache/conf/httpd.conf # search for Listen and set it to 81
>cd ..
>cd mod_perl-2.0.1/
>/opt/myperl/bin/perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/opt/myapache/bin/apxs
>make
>make test
>make install
>vi /opt/myapache/conf/httpd.conf # Add LoadModule perl_module
>modules/mod_perl.so
>/opt/myapache/bin/apachectl start
>- ------------------8<------------------
>
>I've timed it and it took my now exactly 20 Minutes to get a setup with:
>- - perl 5.8.7
>- - httpd-2.0.54
>- - mod-perl 2.0.1
>
>When it comes to php I have no idea but I think its also that straight
>forward. As I've always said I'm not a friend of those rpm's and it
>really does take that long to get a running system. At least less time
>than it took you:
>- - find what's going wrong with your installation
>- - work with ancient software like apache-2.0.40 causing you headache
>  because you are runing it long standing fixed bugs
>
>Tom

I am currently using these install notes. I have run into another
problem. This must have been caused by one of my first perl installs?

/opt/perl/bin/perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/opt/httpd/bin/apxs
Reading Makefile.PL args from @ARGV
   MP_APXS = /opt/httpd/bin/apxs
no conflicting prior mod_perl version found - good.
[  error] '/opt/httpd/bin/apxs -q INCLUDEDIR' failed:
[  error] Can't locate strict.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.7/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.7
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/i686-linux
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl .)
at /opt/httpd/bin/apxs line 19.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/httpd/bin/apxs line 19.
[  error] Unable to determine server version, aborting.
[  error] Invalid MP_APXS specified?

I have installed perl and apache as described above. Include should be
/opt/perl? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Jon

Re: Apache, Mod_Perl Upgrade Take 2

Posted by Jonathan Vanasco <jv...@mastersofbranding.com>.
On Aug 22, 2005, at 3:47 AM, Tom Schindl wrote:
> There's enough information in the docs and mail-archives else get one
> of
> the great mod-perl books.

on the off chance that you're on freebsd, my notes will walk you
through it

http://dev.2xlp.com/trac/wiki/
FreeBsdApacheMultiServerSetupUsingStandardPorts

Re: Apache, Mod_Perl Upgrade Take 2

Posted by Tom Schindl <to...@gmx.at>.

Re: Apache, Mod_Perl Upgrade Take 2

Posted by Jonathan Steffan <jo...@bandwidthmarket.com>.
Tom Schindl wrote:

>>I went back to my 2.0.40 install of Apache. The 2.0.54 was not playing
>>nice with plesk. How do I update the @INC path and/or mod_perl for the
>>new perl 5.8.7? I try using CPAN with install Bundle::Apache and no go.
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>-Jon
>>

>I not sure if there have been API changes since 2.0.40 and 2.0.54 but
>compiling mod-perl-2.x with apache 2.0.54 and use it with 2.0.40 this
>will certainly lead to very strange situations you.
>
>As in the message before there's nothing wrong when running 2.0.40 if
>your plesk system needs it and install your own apache-2.0.54 and run it
>on a different port (e.g. 81).
>
>As already said before als compiling Apache-2.0.x is straight forward
>and nothing you could not manage without reading the bundled
>INSTALL-File(s).
>
>Default-Install-Procedure:
>- ------------------8<------------------
>tar xzvf stable.tar.gz
>cd perl-5.8.7/
>sh ./Configure -de -Dprefix=/opt/myperl
>make
>make test
>su
>make install
>exit
>cd ..
>tar xjvf httpd-2.0.54.tar.bz2
>cd httpd-2.0.54
>./configure --prefix=/opt/myapache
>make
>make install
>vi /opt/myapache/conf/httpd.conf # search for Listen and set it to 81
>cd ..
>cd mod_perl-2.0.1/
>/opt/myperl/bin/perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/opt/myapache/bin/apxs
>make
>make test
>make install
>vi /opt/myapache/conf/httpd.conf # Add LoadModule perl_module
>modules/mod_perl.so
>/opt/myapache/bin/apachectl start
>- ------------------8<------------------
>
>I've timed it and it took my now exactly 20 Minutes to get a setup with:
>- - perl 5.8.7
>- - httpd-2.0.54
>- - mod-perl 2.0.1
>
>When it comes to php I have no idea but I think its also that straight
>forward. As I've always said I'm not a friend of those rpm's and it
>really does take that long to get a running system. At least less time
>than it took you:
>- - find what's going wrong with your installation
>- - work with ancient software like apache-2.0.40 causing you headache
>  because you are runing it long standing fixed bugs
>
>Tom

Thanks so much for everyones help. I think I will run the apache 2.0.40
for all of the main site and everything. Would it be a performance issue
to run both at the same time? Also, I will need to share variables (or
at least a cookie or something for authorized users) between the two
servers/scripts. Is this possible? I will need to auth a user from one
server (using PHP/Mambo)... and only allow those authed users to use
this second server. I am very open to suggestions. I have both  Perl
5.8.0 and 5.8.7 installed. Both seems to still be working fine. The main
system (when just using perl from the $PATH) is now using 5.8.7. Perl
5.8.0 seems to still be working and installed. I wouldn't need mod_php
on the second server... at least night right away... so that is not an
issue. Is it best to install into /opt? I didn't do this for Perl.. nor
the new apache, however I removed all apache2 files I could find with
'locate'. I prefer to use RPMs... however the main httpd server is an
RPM... 2.0.40. Also, I can have many IPs... so I would maybe not run on
port 81... just run it on 80 on a different IP. Thanks in advance.

-Jon

Re: Apache, PERL, Mod_Perl Install Issues

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Jonathan Steffan wrote:
> I had installed perl to /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.7 in a previous
> exercise. The main system perl is supposed to be 5.8.0. This issues
> seems to be lingering around from that install? I only removed the
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.7 and all related files I could find for perl
> 5.8.7 with locate. I will try your advice with changing the apxs file.
> Any other notes? Thanks for your message.
To prevent this, when you install httpd, use the --with-perl option to
./configure i.e.

./configure --prefix=/opt/httpd --with-perl=/opt/perl/bin/perl ....

--
END
                 Nothing is impossible.

Consultant / http://p6m7g8.net/Resume/
   http://www.liquidityservicesinc.com
        http://www.liquidation.com
        http://www.uksurplus.com
        http://www.govliquidation.com
        http://www.gowholesale.com

Re: Apache, PERL, Mod_Perl Install Issues

Posted by Jonathan Steffan <jo...@bandwidthmarket.com>.
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

> Jonathan Steffan wrote:
>
>> no conflicting prior mod_perl version found - good.
>> [  error] '/opt/httpd/bin/apxs -q INCLUDEDIR' failed:
>> [  error] Can't locate strict.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
>> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.7/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.7
>> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7/i686-linux
>> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.7 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
>> .) at /opt/httpd/bin/apxs line 19.
>> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/httpd/bin/apxs line 19.
>> [  error] Unable to determine server version, aborting.
>> [  error] Invalid MP_APXS specified?
>>
>> Any ideas?
>

> Apparently apxs is using the wrong perl.
> You might change the #! line at the top of it,
> update your path to have /opt/perl/bin before /usr/local/bin,
> or rename your system perl temporarily.
>
> HTH

Phil,

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Steffan <jo...@bandwidthmarket.com>.
Thanks everyone for all your help. I am still having issues. When
installing to /opt everything works fine untill I go to install
mod_perl. I am erroring out on the line...

/opt/perl/bin/perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/opt/httpd/bin/apxs

-fails with-

Re: Apache, Mod_Perl Upgrade

Posted by Jonathan Steffan <jo...@bandwidthmarket.com>.
Stas Bekman wrote:

> Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Actually from the README,
>> *** Prerequisites ***
>>
>> Apache:
>>   Dynamic mod_perl (DSO):    Apache 2.0.47 - 2.0.54.
>>   Static mod_perl:           Apache 2.0.51 - 2.0.54.
>>
>>   Newer Apache versions may work with this version of mod_perl.  If
>>   not, the svn version likely will, which can be obtained from:
>>
>> http://perl.apache.org/download/source.html#Development_mod_perl_2_0_Source_Distribution
>>

>> 2.0.40 IS TOO OLD
>

>> though it might work if you are lucky, I forget exactly why we upped
>> the minium httpd version for dynamic.
>

> Because of the Apache API changes. 2.0.40 wasn't of a release quality
> (I think it was still beta or something)

Plesk reports:

httpd 2.0.40-21.18.legacy
php 4.3.2-psa.rh9.1
mod_python 3.0.1-4
tomcat4 4.1.30-2jpp
mod_perl 1.99_07-5
perl-Apache-ASP 2.57-rh9.build75050506.13

-Jon

Re: Apache, Mod_Perl Upgrade

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
[...]