Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Bengt Rodehav <be...@rodehav.com> on 2010/11/30 09:56:31 UTC

Startup problems: javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Unable to determine caller'sBundleContext

I use Karaf 2.1.2. On a clean startup (the data directory is empty)
everything works OK. However, when I restart Karaf (without cleaning out the
data directory) I consistently get the following exception:

*Exception in thread "JMX Connector Thread
> [service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://localhost:1099/karaf-root]"
> java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not start JMX connector server*

*       at
> org.apache.karaf.management.ConnectorServerFactory$1.run(ConnectorServerFactory.java:103)
> *

*Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot bind to URL
> [rmi://localhost:1099/karaf-root]: javax.naming.NoInitialContextException:
> Unable to determine caller's BundleContext*

*       at
> javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectorServer.newIOException(RMIConnectorServer.java:804)
> *

*       at
> javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectorServer.start(RMIConnectorServer.java:417)
> *

*       at
> org.apache.karaf.management.ConnectorServerFactory$1.run(ConnectorServerFactory.java:101)
> *

*Caused by: javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Unable to determine
> caller'sBundleContext*

*       at
> org.apache.aries.jndi.OSGiInitialContextFactoryBuilder.getInitialContext(OSGiInitialContextFactoryBuilder.java:53)
> *

*       at
> javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(NamingManager.java:667)*

*       at
> javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:288)*

*       at
> javax.naming.InitialContext.getURLOrDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:316)
> *

*       at javax.naming.InitialContext.bind(InitialContext.java:400)*

*       at
> javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectorServer.bind(RMIConnectorServer.java:625)
> *

*       at
> javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectorServer.start(RMIConnectorServer.java:412)
> *

*       ... 1 more*

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I'm thinking there may be
timing errors. Note that the exception is only logged to the console - not
to the log file. Perhaps it occurs before the logging bundle is installed.

I haven't seen this in previous versions of Karaf (2.1.0 and 1.6.0) but I've
also added and changed a lot of bundles in addition to upgrading to Karaf
2.1.2. Thus I don't know for sure if this is a problem specific to Karaf
2.1.2.

/Bengt

Re: Startup problems: javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Unable to determine caller'sBundleContext

Posted by Bengt Rodehav <be...@rodehav.com>.
JIRA created:

/Bengt

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Bengt Rodehav <be...@rodehav.com>.
Thanks for you reply Ioannis.

No I only restart without uninstalling/installing anything.

/Bengt

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bengt,