Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jilles Oldenbeuving <oj...@hotmail.com> on 2003/07/14 07:55:22 UTC

Wanting something todo

Hello devlist,

I'm in search of a good point to start working on subversion! I've got
some C/C++ experience and i would like to help out on the development of
the subversion project because it looks so much better CVS!

My problem is this: i'd like to help, but where do I start? In the issue
tracker there are some bit-sized tasks but some/most of them are
integrated deeply with subversions architecture/implementation which
makes it a hard starting point for me. There is however issue #780
(http://subversion.tigris.org/issues/long_list.cgi?issuelist=780)
Which seems like a good starting point, even if the general opinion is
that this is something for post-1.0.

Would this be a good starting point, or are there any persons on this
list that have better suggestions?

Greetings,

Jilles Oldenbeuving
ojilles@hotmail.com
http://www.jillesoldenbeuving.nl

Re: Wanting something todo

Posted by Jilles Oldenbeuving <oj...@hotmail.com>.
Greg Stein wrote:

> If you have a particular interest that isn't covered in the issue list, then
> bring it up. I will warn you that new features will generally be
> discouraged. It never fails that we get some new feature that seems awfully
> handy and great and low-impact on the rest of the system; while all true, it
> then proceeds to consume maintenance time (sigh). Rounding out an existing
> feature? Fixing edge cases? Making the code more robust and clean? Oh yah...
> all that is great.

Allright, thanks! I'm going to give this a shot!

That maintenance point you made, I can fully understand that. So I'll
try and help out on existing stuff.

Jilles

Re: Wanting something todo

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 09:55:22AM +0200, Jilles Oldenbeuving wrote:
> My problem is this: i'd like to help, but where do I start? In the issue
> tracker there are some bit-sized tasks but some/most of them are
> integrated deeply with subversions architecture/implementation which
> makes it a hard starting point for me. There is however issue #780
> (http://subversion.tigris.org/issues/long_list.cgi?issuelist=780)
> Which seems like a good starting point, even if the general opinion is
> that this is something for post-1.0.

Issues are usually marked bite-sized because they appear to be easy to
tackle. Generally, they shouldn't require too much in-depth knowledge.

If you want to dig in, then (as Paul said) feel free to choose anything that
looks interesting. Make sure you're an Observer of the project and log in.
You'll then be able to assign an issue to yourself and then mark it as
STARTED (do those steps in that order); that will let others know you're
going to work on a particular issue. If it is reasonably big, then you may
want to have some discussion on the list and to post interim patches.

At the end, follow the patch submission guidelines in HACKING and send the
patch to this list.

If you have a particular interest that isn't covered in the issue list, then
bring it up. I will warn you that new features will generally be
discouraged. It never fails that we get some new feature that seems awfully
handy and great and low-impact on the rest of the system; while all true, it
then proceeds to consume maintenance time (sigh). Rounding out an existing
feature? Fixing edge cases? Making the code more robust and clean? Oh yah...
all that is great.

But again: whatever interests you. We're all volunteers. Well, mostly. :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Wanting something todo

Posted by Paul L Lussier <pl...@lanminds.com>.
In a message dated: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 06:41:08 +0200
Jilles Oldenbeuving said:

>Paul L Lussier wrote:
>
>> Rumor has it that there's a lot of useful information there for
>> developers :)
>
>Thats what i figured, so boldly read most of it. Now i'd like to do some
>  actual work on svn. Any thoughts? (See org. post)

Well, if you've read all the HACKING and the notes/ stuff, then the
usual course of action seems to be to tackle a 'bite-sized' task.

Since issue #780 seems to interest you, I'd say go for it.
Obviously, working on tasks which help accomplish 1.0 would be
preferable, but if there aren't any which you feel comfortable with,
I don't think anyone will stop you from working on a post-1.0 issue.
I mean, it's your time, and you're volunteering after all :)

Of course, this is just my opinion, and since I'm not a developer,
just the new release manager/interim patch-manager, I don't have a
lot of say :)

HTH,
--

Seeya,
Paul

Re: Wanting something todo

Posted by Jilles Oldenbeuving <oj...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Wanting something todo

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Paul L Lussier wrote:

>  Jilles> My problem is this: i'd like to help, but where do I start?
>  Jilles> In the issue tracker there are some bit-sized tasks but
>  Jilles> some/most of them are integrated deeply with subversions
>  Jilles> architecture/implementation which makes it a hard starting
>  Jilles> point for me.
>
>I would recommend checking out the svn /trunk and reading the various
>docs contained within, such as HACKING, PORTING, and many of
>the notes/ docs.
>
>Rumor has it that there's a lot of useful information there for
>developers :)

Yup. But note that PORTING is waaay out of date.

Re: Wanting something todo

Posted by Paul L Lussier <pl...@lanminds.com>.