Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Eitan Ben-Noach <Ei...@proficiency.com> on 2001/07/10 18:18:59 UTC

using pre-compiled JSPs

Hello,

I would like to know whether pre-compiled JSPs is a conventional way for
deploying JSPs at the customers sites? Are there any disadvantages with
this approach?

Thanks,

Eitan Ben-Noach

RE: using pre-compiled JSPs

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.ca>.
One big disadvantage is that if you have precompiled JSP's, your web
application is no longer portable to different servers (possibly not even
across Tomcat versions, although I'm not sure).  The reason is that the JSP
spec does not include any guidelines for naming or implementing the
generated servlet, i.e. it's implementation dependent.

On the other hand, you could take the generated servlet, put it into the
WEB-INF/classes directory, and add a url mapping to the web.xml file, but
even there, you would want to check the generated servlet to make sure it
wasn't using container-dependent code.

Greg Trasuk, President
StratusCom Manufacturing Systems Inc. - We use technology to turn
information into profits on your plant floor.
http://stratuscom.ca