Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Dominik Drzewiecki <dr...@post.pl> on 2003/12/28 21:47:07 UTC

Default Tomcat installation location on Windows

Howdy,

The default location for Tomcat 5.0 installation on Windows is "c:\program
Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0". On the other hand, win32 Apache 2.0
installer suggests "c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache 2.0". I suggest that
these directories should be unified for clarity, let's say the default root
directory for Apache softwere should be "c:\Program Files\Apache Group". After
all it is Apache's httpd that was first to come up with "Apache Group" directory
;). I think Tomcat 5.0.x as well as 4.1.x should stick with it (Maven does, AFAIK).

With all the best wishes for the forthcoming New Year,
May it be fruitful and peacefull for all of you and your families,

Dominik Drzewiecki

JK 2.0.4 release

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Hi to all,

JK 2.0.4 should be released next week.

- The build has been fixed by JF Clere and Kurt Miller.

- The ping/pong features and POST recovery has been commited.

Pending :

- Take a look at bugzilla to see if there is showstoppers.

- Update the documentation.

I'll take care of documentation and I'm looking for JK2
commiters (JF, Kurt ?) to update bugzilla status.

Volunteers welcome :-)

JTC to Apache License 2.0

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
I updated Jakarta-Tomcat-Connectors to Apache License 2.0.

Thanks to revieuw and comments if needed.

Re: Default Tomcat installation location on Windows

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
It most certainly should NOT be Apache Group - that's an entity
that no longer exists (it's what the folks called themselves
before the foundation was formed.)

We won't change in on the httpd side until a brand new Apache
comes out (e.g. httpd 2.2) but expect we will move it to the
Apache Software Foundation at that time.

Bill

jk2 / lb and errors

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Hi to all,

while playing with jk2, I discovered many things I didn't like :

* If no worker or group is defined for an uri, it goes to lb:lb.

   The default worker SHOULD BE configurable, I'll modify this.

* Stupid question, but how could I use a normal ajp13 socket, not a
group in uri defs ?

* LB error handle directly the output headers, which prevent
ErrorDocument to do its correct job :

in jk_lb_worker.c :

         if(rec == NULL) {
             /* NULL record, no more workers left ... */
             env->l->jkLog(env, env->l, JK_LOG_ERROR,
                           "lb_worker.service() all workers in error or
disabled state\n");
             /* set hwBalanceErr status */
             if( lb->hwBalanceErr != 0 ) {
                 s->status=lb->hwBalanceErr;
             } else {
                 s->status=lb->noWorkerCode; /* SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE is
the default */
             }

             if( s->status == 302 ) {
                 s->headers_out->put(env, s->headers_out,
                                     "Location", lb->noWorkerMsg, NULL);
                 s->head(env, s );
             } else {
                 s->headers_out->put(env, s->headers_out,
                                     "Content-Type", "text/html", NULL);
                 s->head(env, s );
                 s->jkprintf(env, s, lb->noWorkerMsg );
             }

             s->afterRequest( env, s);
             lb_priv->error_time = time(NULL);
             return JK_ERR;
         }

I'll modify that since it shouldn't be done this way, at least in Apache
2.0, I'd like to have advices for IIS/NES.

Re: Default Tomcat installation location on Windows

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
I've answered this at least once before.  "Apache Group" is
ancient trivia.  "Apache Software Foundation" is the proper
name and will even be used in httpd-2.2 once that is released.

There hasn't been an "Apache Group" since early year 2000
when the foundation was created - Tomcat got it right when
they switched names.

Apache 2.0 and 1.3 were already there, so they aren't moving
until a minor (not subversion) bump.

Bill

I'd argue the converse, and suggest the httpd team will change this with
the Apache-2.2 installer.  It probably should have changed back at 2.0,
I don't remember why I didn't make that change at the time.

Apache Group as an entity is defunct, replaced by the corporate name

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Dominik:
If you have experienced problems with non 8.3 filename/folder name situation
in windows I would substitute in the Windows system assigned 8.3 name e.g.
C:\PROGRA~1 instead of C:\Program Files
-dobranoc-
Martin