Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ian Godman <ia...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2007/10/25 08:49:59 UTC

new to maven

Hi

I am new to Maven 2. I have been converting an application consisting of 4 eclipse projects, 3 producing library jars the the final one running the application.

I have got to the stage where every thing now compiles and the 3 jar files are deployed in my repository (I am using artifactory).

My application also compiles.

My issues is that despite a lot of reading I still can not work out how to run my application!

There are external jars required, these are set as dependencies in the POM.

What I would like to achieve is to be able to run the application from within the eclipse debug environment. To do this I need to get not only the generated jar files but also the library jars and the XML configuration files on the class path. Ideally also in a directory so that I can copy it and run the application on another machine.

I am sure this is not difficult to do but at this moment in time I am unable to work it out.

Ian

Re: new to maven

Posted by Giancarlo Degani <gi...@gmail.com>.
hi,
you can try with the eclipse plugin:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/

Giancarlo

2007/10/25, Ian Godman <ia...@yahoo.co.uk>:
> Hi
>
> I am new to Maven 2. I have been converting an application consisting of 4 eclipse projects, 3 producing library jars the the final one running the application.
>
> I have got to the stage where every thing now compiles and the 3 jar files are deployed in my repository (I am using artifactory).
>
> My application also compiles.
>
> My issues is that despite a lot of reading I still can not work out how to run my application!
>
> There are external jars required, these are set as dependencies in the POM.
>
> What I would like to achieve is to be able to run the application from within the eclipse debug environment. To do this I need to get not only the generated jar files but also the library jars and the XML configuration files on the class path. Ideally also in a directory so that I can copy it and run the application on another machine.
>
> I am sure this is not difficult to do but at this moment in time I am unable to work it out.
>

> Ian

RE: new to maven

Posted by ni...@planet.nl.
To run from eclipse you would have to look at the Eclipse plugin. [1] Basically, you would run mvn eclipse:eclipse (optional: -DdownloadSources=true and/or -DdownloadJavadoc=true) and create a M2_REPO variable inside Eclipse. This would set up your classpath for eclipse.

To create a runnable version of your application, take a look at the appassembler plugin[2]. This will create startup scripts, copy all your libs, generally just create the right structure in your target directory. After that, you can wrap it up with the assembly plugin[3], to create .zip, .tar.gz or such files.

Hth,

Nick Stolwijk

[1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/
[2] http://mojo.codehaus.org/appassembler/appassembler-maven-plugin/