Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/04 16:36:33 UTC

Re: spurious indentation with (small) text lose SOLVED

I’ve just submitted a fix to trunk:

Vincent

Posted by Samuel Penn <sa...@glendale.org.uk>.
On Thursday 06 September 2012 19:57:03 Rob Sargent wrote:
> On 09/06/2012 12:03 PM, Samuel Penn wrote:
> > The general layout of the documents themselves isn't particulary
> > exciting. There's a lot I'd like to be able to do, especially around
> > image and table layout (auto-placement of images, and stretching them
> > across two text columns etc), which doesn't yet seem to be possible in
> > FOP.
>
> span="all" doesn't work? You would of course have to split the page into
> before, body and after regions and place some of the content in the
> erstwhile head and footer. Alternatively a trick VH showed me is to
> print content twice covering 200% of the available width and use
> left/right indent at 0% and -100% alternately.  This is how I print
> tables across two pages.

Haven't tried that. I do already make use of the header/footer, so I
don't know whether that prevents use of this technique.

When I get time, I might look into that.

I do have a workaround for tables - I have a chapter type which has
a single column, and save all the big tables until then. It's not
ideal, but it's functional.

--
Be seeing you,        Games: http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.                  Posts: http://www.google.com/profiles/samuel.penn

Re: spurious indentation with (small) text lose SOLVED

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
you guys are getting rather off topic here; i'd suggest you start a new
thread if you wish to continue

Posted by Rob Sargent <rs...@xmission.com>.

Posted by Samuel Penn <sa...@glendale.org.uk>.
On Thursday 06 September 2012 17:07:37 Rob Sargent wrote:
> On 09/06/2012 06:04 AM, Samuel Penn wrote:
> > On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 09:46:23 -0600, Rob Sargent
> >
> > <rs...@xmission.com> wrote:
> >>  I have long suspected that what we're asking FOP to do is somewhat
> >>
> >> "out there".  Man would I love a review of my xsl/fo
> >> transformation.  2700+ lines of xsl can't be a good thing!
> >
> > That doesn't seem that bad. My own XSLT for FOP is pushing 7000 lines.
> >
> > :-)
>
> That's just wrong! :)  What on earth are you doing?

Documenting rules for a (pen and paper) roleplaying game. Most of it is
handling the maths and rules for displaying inline character sheets, or
building lists of skills, spells or equipment which do a lot of referencing
to each other and semi-complex mangling according to game rules.

I started off using Docbook, then decided it was too complex in areas I
wasn't interested in, and wasn't suited to handling the things I was
interested in.

The code is here:

http://yagsbook.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/yagsbook/trunk/xml/xslt/pdf/

The project is over 10 years old, so there's probably a lot of cruft
in there which doesn't help matters.

The general layout of the documents themselves isn't particulary
exciting. There's a lot I'd like to be able to do, especially around
image and table layout (auto-placement of images, and stretching them
across two text columns etc), which doesn't yet seem to be possible in
FOP. There's an example document here:

Posted by Rob Sargent <rs...@xmission.com>.

Posted by Samuel Penn <sa...@glendale.org.uk>.
 wrote:
>  I have long suspected that what we're asking FOP to do is somewhat
> "out there".  Man would I love a review of my xsl/fo
> transformation.  2700+ lines of xsl can't be a good thing!

 That doesn't seem that bad. My own XSLT for FOP is pushing 7000 lines.
 :-)

--
 Be seeing you,
 Sam.

Re: spurious indentation with (small) text lose SOLVED

Posted by Rob Sargent <rs...@xmission.com>.
I hate to wimp-out on you good sir, but I'm /really/ under the gun right
now.  It will be at least a week before I can (attempt to) put together
an example fo.

I have long suspected that what we're asking FOP to do is somewhat "out
there".  Man would I love a review of my xsl/fo transformation.  2700+
lines of xsl can't be a good thing!

But it's shaping up to be a beautiful book, thanks to FOP.

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Sargent <rs...@xmission.com>.