Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Duin, Harry" <Ha...@tellabs.com> on 2007/07/30 21:19:09 UTC

getting more detailed logging in tomcat

Hi,

I have set up Tomcat 6.0.10 and got my first servlet app working with
windows and Eclipse. I am looking at the files in the logs directory,
but see NO logging of the HTTP messages (including the servlet calls) In
short, I want to know more of what is going on at the HTTP protocol
level. I have spent much of the day trying to get more information out
of Apache and so far with no results. This is what I have done so far, I
am looking for input on where I am heading in the wrong direction.

I decided to use the built-in logging mechanism of Tomcat 6.0.10 and
extend the java.util.logging properties. According to the doc the
logging properties for Tomcat are coming from a file called
logging.properties in $JAVA_HOME\jre\lib. So I changed that by setting:

            a. .level= FINEST

            b. java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = FINEST

That does not work, i.e. no additional logging is given to me.

I also ran into a problem with specifying
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=D:\ots\apache-tomcat-6.0.10\conf\logging
.properties on the command line (I start up Tomcat manually via

D:\ots\apache-tomcat-6.0.10\bin>.\catalina.bat run).

When I add this -D option, my other -D option is no longer working. This
is how I add the -D options:

set JAVA_OPTS="-DTLAB_HOME=J:\MW\runtime
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=D:\ots\apache-tomcat-6.0.10\conf\logging
.properties"

Anyone have any input on how to allow 2 -D options to JAVA_OPTS?

Thanks. It has been a long day of trying out all kinds of logging
options. I even looked into using log4j. It seems to me that this should
not be so difficult and am wondering how I am making it so hard:-)

-hd

and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee
or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reproduction,
dissemination or distribution of this communication is strictly
please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Tellabs

RE: getting more detailed logging in tomcat

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Duin, Harry [mailto:Harry.Duin@tellabs.com]
> Subject: getting more detailed logging in tomcat
>
> I have set up Tomcat 6.0.10 and got my first servlet app working with
> windows and Eclipse. I am looking at the files in the logs directory,
> but see NO logging of the HTTP messages

Don't suppose you've tried going into server.xml and enabling the
AccessLogValve or RequestDumperValve?
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/valve.html

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.