Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org> on 2016/05/24 10:06:55 UTC

One year of Mahout

Hi,

the past year has seen quite a few releases of Mahout. To my knowledge lots of
integration work went into the project.

What do people think - would it make sense to reflect on that a bit and post the
most important findings on dev@mahout.apache.org ? I'm happing to do the final
editing, but I need your input on what should be included...

Isabel

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
Anyone with admin rights can add people I believe; I'll do it today.

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by Andrew Palumbo <ap...@outlook.com>.
+1 sounds like a perfect first blog entry...

> > 2. Backend Integrations with Spark, Flink, H2O
>
> I think we could have one retrospective part here - what did we learn
> walking
> through these integrations and one future part - how do downstream users
> benefit
> from using those.

I'm In the process of re-creating the Image of the Mahout stack for use in the ASF domiain (MAHOUT-1860) this may be useful in describing the Backend Integrations.

I'll share it when i get it watermarked, etc.  (Need to figure out how to manipulate SVG graphics....  currently using open office or libreoffice or whatever its called now.)

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@gmail.com>.

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by "isabel@apache.org" <is...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 04:05:24PM +0000, Andrew Palumbo wrote:
> We could start a directory in gh-pages branch for the blog drafts (where the docs live):
>
> https://github.com/apache/mahout/tree/gh-pages

Makes sense to me.

Isabel

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
Infra is adding accounts and I'm making them available as they're created.

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by "isabel@apache.org" <is...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 09:51:17AM -0700, Andrew Musselman wrote:
> I've tried inviting the rest of the PMC but was not able to; I've commented
> on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-11957 so we'll see how to
> resolve it.

Great. Thanks for the heads up.

Isabel

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by "isabel@apache.org" <is...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 09:51:17AM -0700, Andrew Musselman wrote:
> I've tried inviting the rest of the PMC but was not able to; I've commented
> on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-11957 so we'll see how to
> resolve it.

At least for myself I just received the account confirmation and invitation to the Mahout blog.

Thanks Andrew for taking care of this,
Isabel

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
This is very helpful, we can start filling in the meat.

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by "isabel@apache.org" <is...@apache.org>.

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by Andrew Palumbo <ap...@outlook.com>.

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.

Re: One year of Mahout

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
Yes, we have been talking about writing a blog post. One of us will have to
start on that.

Some of the accomplishments being:

1. New Mahout Book - 'Apache Mahout: Beyond MapReduce' - Dmitriy Lyubimov,
Andrew Palumbo
2. Backend Integrations with Spark, Flink, H2O
3. Multi-Modal Recommender based on Mahout-Samsara in PredictionIO
(proposed for Apache Incubator) - Pat Ferrel
4. Major Linear Algebra performance enhancements (Sebastiano Vigna,
Dymitriy Lyubimov)
5. Mahout talks in conferences (Apache Big Data 2016, Vancouver)
6. Most recent being visualization and plotting with Apache Zeppelin
(Trevor Grant)

Suneel