Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Charl Gerber <ch...@yahoo.com> on 2005/06/14 18:08:03 UTC

Tomcat and Runtime.freeMemory()

In a follow-up to my previous thread, I have now made
a small jsp that prints the free memory using
Runtime.freeMemory().

This however runs down to 0 quite quickly with no
users connected (just my one session) and then jumps
up to somewhere about have the allocated memory....
runs down to 0 and jumps back up to the maximum. Ie,
garbage collection kicks in.

But why does the free memory not remain consistant if
there is no server activity? Some internal Tomcat
tasks? I'm pretty sure my webapps do nothing in the
background.

Charl