Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au> on 2010/03/13 11:55:23 UTC

Zone updated to Java 1.5

Hi all,

I've altered the zone setup to point to Java 1.5

I've also set the recipient to myself initially to see what if any failures
come in so I can sort them so as to avoid spamming the list during the
transition.

----

On another note, I see we still have our cronjobs set to 2 hourly.

One of them updates the trunk source every two odd hours.

The other three build our versions and run them every two even hours.

It was moved from 1 hour to two hours due to

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1061

I would say that issue is solved now, especially with the recent svn
upgrades.

However, I have another solution that makes better sense imho.

We should go back to 'checking svn'; every hour for new commits, but ONLY do
an 'svn update' IF
any commits have happened during that time. The same for the builds, why
keep rebuilding every
hour or two hours if the source hasn't changed ?

Take this January and February for example where only 1 commit in each month
took place.
During that time the zone would have done an svn update and rebuild three
sites approximately
700 times in that period, 698 of them needlessly.

So, I propose that we instead do a script like this:

-----------------
svn st -u | grep *

if [ $? = 0 ]; then

 svn up

/export/home/config/update-forrest-trunk.sh

else

fi
-----------------

We then change the cronjob to run the above script every hour instead, and
will do nothing if no commit has happened in that time. I've been running
this on Buildbot for a year now and works great.

Thoughts?

Gav...

Re: Zone updated to Java 1.5

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Gav... wrote:
> >
> > I've altered the zone setup to point to Java 1.5
>
> Thanks. However please note that most scripts and
> config are under version control in the forrest/zone SVN.
> So don't just edit them on the server.
>
> http://forrest.apache.org/zone.html
>
> > I've also set the recipient to myself initially to see what if any failures
> > come in so I can sort them so as to avoid spamming the list during the
> > transition.

Please be careful with that approach. I reckon it is better
that all devs can see what is going on. Have you forgotten
to change it back?

-David

Re: Zone updated to Java 1.5

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Gav... wrote:

> I've altered the zone setup to point to Java 1.5

Thanks. However please note that most scripts and
config are under version control in the forrest/zone SVN.
So don't just edit them on the server.

http://forrest.apache.org/zone.html

> I've also set the recipient to myself initially to see what if any failures
> come in so I can sort them so as to avoid spamming the list during the
> transition.
>
> ----
>
> On another note, I see we still have our cronjobs set to 2 hourly.
>
> One of them updates the trunk source every two odd hours.
>
> The other three build our versions and run them every two even hours.
>
> It was moved from 1 hour to two hours due to
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1061
>
> I would say that issue is solved now, especially with the recent svn
> upgrades.

Yes, we should try again. From memory it was mainly about
network and I/O troubles on helios.

> However, I have another solution that makes better sense imho.

That doesn't solve FOR-1061 if the slowness behaviour
re-appears.

Your idea surely will help, so yeah go for it.

> We should go back to 'checking svn'; every hour for new commits, but ONLY do
> an 'svn update' IF
> any commits have happened during that time. The same for the builds, why
> keep rebuilding every
> hour or two hours if the source hasn't changed ?
>
> Take this January and February for example where only 1 commit in each month
> took place.
> During that time the zone would have done an svn update and rebuild three
> sites approximately
> 700 times in that period, 698 of them needlessly.
>
> So, I propose that we instead do a script like this:
>
> -----------------
> svn st -u | grep *
>
> if [ $? = 0 ]; then
>
>  svn up
>
> /export/home/config/update-forrest-trunk.sh
>
> else
>
> fi

Be careful with that bare asterisk.

I wonder how expensive the 'svn st -u' is.

Anyway, rebuilding only when neccessary is certainly
good, so please do.

-David