Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Chunky Gupta <ch...@vizury.com> on 2012/10/25 13:14:43 UTC

Executing queries after setting hive.exec.parallel in hive-site.xml

Hi ,

I have 2 questions regarding the parameter 'hive.exec.parallel' in
hive-site.xml in ~/.versions/hive-0.8.1/conf/

1. how do I verify from query log files or from any other way, that a
particular query is executing with this parameter set to true.
2. Is it advisable to set this parameter for running queries.

Thanks,
Chunky.

Re: Executing queries after setting hive.exec.parallel in hive-site.xml

Posted by Bejoy KS <be...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Chunky

This parameter will come into effect only if a query has been parsed to multiple mapreduce jobs and some of them can be executed in parallel. ie all the jobs generated by the query are not linearly dependent and hence needn't be executed sequentially. In all other cases the MR jobs will be executed sequentially and this parameter won't have any effect.

Regards
Bejoy KS

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
this parameter is a query execution optimization approach.
hive.exec.parallel if set to true, hive determines that if few stages
of your mapreduce job can run independently and if yes then schedules
them accordingly.

If you set this value in hive-site.xml and wants to see its set or
not, then use "set -v" to see all variables and then grep it out

--
Nitin Pawar