Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com> on 2012/01/17 20:54:06 UTC

Bloodhound Theme/Dashboard design

Hi everyone,

Sorry it has been so quiet on this list. Thank you all very much for
your patience. Things are progressing and there will be plenty more
interesting things to talk about.

This message is to kick off the discussion about the visual design of
Bloodhound and report on some work done on that area. The following are
links to designs that a colleague of mine came up with:

    http://people.apache.org/~gjm/BloodhoundDesign.png
    http://people.apache.org/~gjm/CreateTicket.png

In addition to the theme, these images also show an interpretation of
what a multi-project dashboard view could look like and a possible
quick-create ticket functionality.

I am looking forward to a good discussion regarding all this so opinions
on all aspects will be very welcome.

Cheers,
     Gary

--
Best wishes,

Gary Martin
Lead Developer
WANdisco, Inc.

http://www.wandisco.com

Re: Bloodhound Theme/Dashboard design

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 5:53 AM, Gary <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 01/18/2012 02:27 PM, Olemis Lang wrote:

>>> A good question.. I think that there is value in challenging our ideas in
>>> these areas on the basis of what might be good for a fresh audience.
>>>
>>> We should be looking to existing mechanisms to provide any changes as much
>>> as possible, including existing trac-hacks if required.
>>>
>> In order to change that it will be necessary to (patch / change) Trac
>> core , as e.g. new tickets in metanav is defined in a component
>> provided by Trac distribution
>> ;)
>
> That surprises me. I was under the impression that these items were much more controllable. Is there a particular problem with providing default configuration in the trac.ini to do this?

I take my previous comment back ... it's possible to do that using plugins .
My mistake .
:-/

Olemis

Facebook => http://www.facebook.com/olemis
Twitter => http://www.twitter.com/olemislc (@olemislc)
Blog ES => http://simelo-es.blogspot.com
Blog EN => http://simelo-en.blogspot.com
Quora => http://www.quora.com/olemis
Youtube => http://youtube.com/user/greatsoftw

Featured article : Identificando números primos con expresión regular en Perl
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/simelo-news/~3/BHr859OSndo/identificando-numeros-primos-con.html
Get a signature like this. CLICK HERE.

Re: Bloodhound Theme/Dashboard design

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Gary <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 01/17/2012 09:48 PM, Olemis Lang wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>>>>
>>> About the dashboard ... in an advanced stage of its implementation ,
>>> it should be similar to others (e.g. Blogger) and allow for selecting
>>> multiple widgets (maybe with DnD support ;) and saving that
>>> configuration in preferences (users-specific dashboard) and/or admin
>>> panel (site-default dashboard view)
>
> That would be good, yes. There could be some cool features to add to this
> dashboard view, depending on how configurable we want it. Probably something
> we might aim for a bit further down the line though.

:)

[...]
>> Another two aspects :
>>
>> - I see navigation items are different to those people find in Trac
>>   itself (e.g. create ticket in Trac main nav is now in BH context nav) .
>>   Will site navigation change ? What other similar changes do you
>>   have in mind ?
>
> A good question.. I think that there is value in challenging our ideas in
> these areas on the basis of what might be good for a fresh audience.
>
> We should be looking to existing mechanisms to provide any changes as much
> as possible, including existing trac-hacks if required.

In order to change that it will be necessary to (patch / change) Trac
core , as e.g. new tickets in metanav is defined in a component
provided by Trac distribution
;)

>> - Dashboard ctxtnav item is under Ticket section (in mainnav) .
>>   Isn't it a much more general concept ? I mean maybe in dashboard
>>   there's much more than tickets and e.g. someone prefers to
>>   add some other information in there (e.g. QA team inserts build
>>   results report)
>
> I see what you mean. It might be worth considering whether we could have a
> Home dashboard with dashboards available for different menus with different
> perspectives - again, perhaps as a long term goal.

that's a good point .
Something like having a global dashboard + separate instances for e.g.
each mainnav item I think it's interesting ... or maybe just filtering
dashboard items shown considering active mainnav item .
Though IMO that should be another subject deserving a whole new
separate thread in this ML  .
;)

Olemis

Facebook => http://www.facebook.com/olemis
Twitter => http://www.twitter.com/olemislc (@olemislc)
Blog ES => http://simelo-es.blogspot.com
Blog EN => http://simelo-en.blogspot.com
Quora => http://www.quora.com/olemis
Youtube => http://youtube.com/user/greatsoftw

Featured article : Identificando números primos con expresión regular en Perl
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/simelo-news/~3/BHr859OSndo/identificando-numeros-primos-con.html
Tweet: Identificando números primos con expresión regular en #Perl
http://t.co/0UTEpvt9 #Simelo #blog #fb #comandos
Follow @olemislc Reply Retweet   20:12 Jan-10
  Get this email app!

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 01/17/2012 09:48 PM, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Olemis Lang<ol...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Gary<ga...@wandisco.com>  wrote:
>>> On 01/17/2012 07:54 PM, Gary wrote:
> [...]
>>>>
>> About the dashboard ... in an advanced stage of its implementation ,
>> it should be similar to others (e.g. Blogger) and allow for selecting
>> multiple widgets (maybe with DnD support ;) and saving that
>> configuration in preferences (users-specific dashboard) and/or admin
>> panel (site-default dashboard view)
That would be good, yes. There could be some cool features to add to
this dashboard view, depending on how configurable we want it. Probably
something we might aim for a bit further down the line though.
>> All this apart from the theme ... IMO . Yet another Bloodhound
>> extension I guess.
Yes, theme concerns are essentially separate to this. The theme should
stand by itself and, if possible, not strictly rely on Bloodhound.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Gary <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 01/18/2012 02:15 PM, Olemis Lang wrote:

>>> Yes, this was a reason the number of tabs has been kept to such an absolute
>>> minimum (3 items!).
>>
>> That should be fine to illustrate the initial design using a picture .
>> Nonetheless in practice as more and more plugins are installed they
>> may add further mainnav items dynamically . There should be something
>> in there to «control» their behavior .
>
> I agree with this.. we should expect that:
>
>  * some people will want to rearrange the items
>  * there will be people wanting to add plugins for which we don't
>   pre-specify a location in the menu system
>
> It would also make sense for anything that scrolls the mainnav items to know when it doesn't need to be there.

this introduces another level of complexity as windows may be resized
too and something that didn't need scroll controls at page load time
might need it in case e.g. window width is changed (resized)
;)

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Ian Wild <ia...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> While looking at this picture there's something I need to mention .
>> Considering my experience there's something to considering when
>> designing a Trac theme for general purpose use and able to adapt to
>> different screen resolutions . It is about the mainnav toolbar at the
>> top . It is a good practice to control the way mainnav items overflow
>> so as to prevent them from wrapping . If this happens pages don't look
>> well . I suggest to implement a carousel in there so as to scroll
>> mainnav items if necessary .
>>

> Yes, this was a reason the number of tabs has been kept to such an absolute
> minimum (3 items!).

That should be fine to illustrate the initial design using a picture .
Nonetheless in practice as more and more plugins are installed they
may add further mainnav items dynamically . There should be something
in there to «control» their behavior .

> Ideally this will be something that will render well on
> a tablet or even smaller mobile device.

good point , but those items top right look like they will be fixed .
As I mentioned that will reduce space for mainnav items. So I guess
this should be confirmed by building a prototype and making some tests
;)

... maybe when project will be mature, it might be a good idea to
provide a mobile app or optimize BH to work with smartphones and
tablets ...
I wanted to try doing this before with Trac , but was very busy at the time :-/

>> Q:
>>  - What's the user picture (rightmost item in mainnav) for ?
>>

> It's an icon similar to My Profile / Preferences.

I c . Need to check how this is represented in Trac and
whether it's possible to add it in the theme itself
(because that's definitely not the metanav ;) .

>>  - Where did metanav go ?
>>  - Same as above for footer ... ;)
>>

>  Can you expand a little on this one - Where are you looking?

In default Trac installation ...

metanav => Login (or username if user already logged into the site),
Preferences, About, Help, RPC API docs, ...
footer => Powered by Trac statement , Trac logo , Visit Trac project ...

In wireframes they are missing afaics

[...]
> For now the design idea was to have something more visually appealing than
> the default trac and which makes the most used features of the defect
> tracker stand out.

;)

> Our thought process was to keep things as simple as
> possible in terms of usability and add more later as the requirements
> arise.
>
> Make sense?

I think so . Time will tell
;)

Posted by Ian Wild <ia...@wandisco.com>.
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> While looking at this picture there's something I need to mention .
> Considering my experience there's something to considering when
> designing a Trac theme for general purpose use and able to adapt to
> different screen resolutions . It is about the mainnav toolbar at the
> top . It is a good practice to control the way mainnav items overflow
> so as to prevent them from wrapping . If this happens pages don't look
> well . I suggest to implement a carousel in there so as to scroll
> mainnav items if necessary .

Yes, this was a reason the number of tabs has been kept to such an absolute
minimum (3 items!). Ideally this will be something that will render well on
a tablet or even smaller mobile device.

> Q:
>  - What's the user picture (rightmost item in mainnav) for ?

It's an icon similar to My Profile / Preferences.

>  - Where did metanav go ?
>  - Same as above for footer ... ;)

 Can you expand a little on this one - Where are you looking?

> About the dashboard ... in an advanced stage of its implementation ,
> it should be similar to others (e.g. Blogger) and allow for selecting
> multiple widgets (maybe with DnD support ;) and saving that
> configuration in preferences (users-specific dashboard) and/or admin
> panel (site-default dashboard view)
> All this apart from the theme ... IMO . Yet another Bloodhound

extension I guess.

Yeah, definitely one to do, but one for the future I reckon.

For now the design idea was to have something more visually appealing than
the default trac and which makes the most used features of the defect
tracker stand out. Our thought process was to keep things as simple as
possible in terms of usability and add more later as the requirements
arise.

Make sense?

Ian

--
Ian Wild
Director of Engineering

http://www.wandisco.com

uberSVN: Apache Subversion Made Easy
http://www.uberSVN.com <http://www.ubersvn.com/>

Everything you need to deploy Subversion in the Enterprise
http://www.wandisco.com/subversion<http://www.wandisco.com/subversion/multisite>

Subversion community
http://www.svnforum.org

Re: Bloodhound Theme/Dashboard design

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Gary <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 01/17/2012 07:54 PM, Gary wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,

:)

>> Sorry it has been so quiet on this list. Thank you all very much for your
>> patience. Things are progressing and there will be plenty more interesting
>> things to talk about.
>>
>> This message is to kick off the discussion about the visual design of
>> Bloodhound and report on some work done on that area. The following are
>> links to designs that a colleague of mine came up with:
>>
>>    http://people.apache.org/~gjm/BloodhoundDesign.png
>>
> Of course, I forgot to check the above  link. It should be have been:
> http://people.apache.org/~gjm/Dashboard.png

While looking at this picture there's something I need to mention .
Considering my experience there's something to considering when
designing a Trac theme for general purpose use and able to adapt to
different screen resolutions . It is about the mainnav toolbar at the
top . It is a good practice to control the way mainnav items overflow
so as to prevent them from wrapping . If this happens pages don't look
well . I suggest to implement a carousel in there so as to scroll
mainnav items if necessary .

>>    http://people.apache.org/~gjm/CreateTicket.png

... and subject mentioned in comment above is even more important due
to the fact that those items top right (e.g. search, create ticket,
...) will narrow available space .

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.