Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de> on 2010/04/20 13:13:05 UTC

Proof of concept - new website

Hello,

In order to evaluate an alternative to generate the Tapestry website and
documentation, I set up a demo website using Tapx as a prototype. The
source files can be downloaded here
http://www.laliluna.de/download/tapx.zip and viewed here
http://tapestry.laliluna.de

The PoC is not about the style or layout but shows how working with a
static site generator looks like, how we can deal with the documentation
and news.

The underlying technology is Nanoc site generator
http://nanoc.stoneship.org/ and all content is written in Textile.

### Installation
a) Install Ruby and rubygems
Mac OS: It should be there already
Fedora Linux: yum install ruby
Windows: see http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/
b)
Use rubygems to install all required libraries
It should be  'gem install nanoc adsf RedCloth' on the command line.
nanoc is the site generator
adsf is a webserver you can fire up in all directores. It is used to
preview the website.
RedCloth is a Textile interpreter. Textile is the wiki like format, I
used for the content.

c)
Download the website.
http://www.laliluna.de/download/tapx.zip

d)
In a shell switch to the website directory

e)
Input the following command to build the website
nanoc compile
Start a webserver with the following command
nanoc view

Visit the website http://localhost:3000/

### Changing content
The content is in the content directory. Documentation and the tutorial
is placed in a subdirectory of content.
Edit the file 'content/about.html'
Add some thext
Build the website again using the command
nanoc compile
or the short version
nanoc co

Update your browser.

### Adding content
We are going to create a new item for the documentation.

nanoc ci documentation/service
Open the file content/documentation/service.html and add some text
Build the site using the following command. We add -f to force an update
of all pages.
nanoc co -f

### Adding news
Create a new item in news. Add the yyyy-MM-dd- prefix to the filename.
It contains the date of the news.

nanoc ci news/2010-04-23-greatnews

Build the site and force an update of all pages.
nanoc co -f

I hope you got a nice first impression.

--
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----
Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence
http://www.laliluna.de

Re: Proof of concept - new website

Posted by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de>.
Am 20.04.10 15:06, schrieb Massimo Lusetti:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Sebastian Hennebrueder
> <us...@laliluna.de>  wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> In order to evaluate an alternative to generate the Tapestry website and
>> documentation, I set up a demo website using Tapx as a prototype. The source
>> files can be downloaded here http://www.laliluna.de/download/tapx.zip and
>> viewed here http://tapestry.laliluna.de
> [..]
>> I hope you got a nice first impression.
>
> I'm sorry but i really don't get why to use something like this one
> when you have tools available already, and let's say we all hate
> maven, i still find the whole solution cumbersome in respect to the
> current one.
>
> Cheers

The idea to use an alternative technology came up, when the last website
rework effort got stuck because some requirements like better news
integration etc was hard to solve with the Maven site generator.

Howard proposed to use an alternative site generator and Ulrich proposed
to use Confluence to deal with the main site. The pros and cons of the
both approaches to replace Maven was discussed recently and my proposal
was to make a quick proof of concept. This is what I have done now.

I like the Nanoc approach because it is elegant and easy to adapt as
Tapestry is. It took me less time to setup the website with Nanoc than
it took me to adapt the Maven build for the last website effort.

You can edit files easily and preview them locally and you can edit them
offline. The downsides are that they require the normal patch based
contribution of none commiters and of course it requires a local
infrastructure setup (installing Ruby).

--
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder