Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Gogineni, Pratima" <pg...@selectica.com> on 2001/06/12 23:56:21 UTC

Re: Idle timeout Handling

>A completely different approach is to use container-managed security, as
described in the Servlet API Specification >>
><<http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html>>. Here, you are
relying on the servlet container to manage user logon, so that you do not
have to check
>anything on a per-request basis. > > Thanks, > Shiraz
> Craig McClanahan
When you use the servlet container basic authentication - the session is
automatically refreshed (because the user info is sent directly from the
browser) but you still may need to refresh the data/warn the user that the
data has been refreshed since the user may think he is continuing from the
the place he left off  but ends up operating on a form-bean in the initial
state.
Could someone correct me if my assumption is wrong?
pratima

____________________________________

Pratima Gogineni
Core Technology

Selectica, Inc.
3 West Plumeria Drive
San Jose CA 95134.2111
www.selectica.com

Direct:	408.545.2615
Main:	408.570.9700
Mobile:	408.315.6380
Fax:	408.570.2167

See our Internet Selling Systems in action:
http://www.selectica.com/iss_in_action/

RE: Form-based Authentication

Posted by Abraham Kang <ab...@infogain.com>.
Hi Matt,

   I have done this successfully with WebLogic 6.0 and 5.1 and JRun 3.1.

   Here is what I learned.

   If you need to do login preprocessing you will need to specify a
login-form that does not have j_security_check as its action.  This login
form will submit to non-secured servlet.  This servlet will do the
pre-processing and then forward the j_username and j_password to
j_security_check.

   If you need post authentication routines then you will have to sniff the
session attribute that the requested URL was stored under.  In WebLogic this
is "_wl_formauth_url".  When they get to the login page you will need to
replace this attribute("_wl_formauth_url") with the post-processing servlet
URL.  At the same time you will need to store the original value of session
attribute ("_wl_formauth_url") to some other key in the session that the
post-processing servlet can use to redirect the user to their desired url
after post processing.

Hope This Helps,
Abraham

Form-based Authentication