Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Leonard Lausen <le...@lausen.nl> on 2019/08/27 10:40:22 UTC

[VOTE] Python 2 Removal for MXNet 1.6

Marco de Abreu <ma...@gmail.com> writes:
> 1. Which Python version to support. 3.5 vs 3.6 is currently in the
> discussion due to Ubuntu 16.04 being shipped with 3.5 while the biggest
> market share being 3.6 as of now.

We could drop Python 2 even before deciding when to drop 3.5.

> 2. When to do the deprecation. EOY to match with official Python 2
> deprecation, in 1.5 years to be in line with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or with the
> next major release (2.0) to adhere to semantic versioning.

From a Semantic Versioning standepoint, "Given a version number
MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the: MAJOR version when you make
incompatible API changes, MINOR version when you add functionality in a
backwards compatible manner, [...]" [1].

Based on Semantic Versioning, the question is if we consider Python 2
support to be part of our API, or rather independent. In the latter
case, dropping for 1.6 is fine.

From a user-experience perspective, users that want to continue using
Python 2 for the next 127 days (until EOL date) currently have bigger
worries than needing to upgrade to the next upcoming MXNet release. They
must transition their codebase to Py3 within 127 days. For those days,
they may just stay on MXNet 1.5?

[1]: https://semver.org/

> Once these points (and any future ones) have been properly discussed and
> the community came to an agreement, we can formalize it with a voting
> thread. Until then, I'd recommend to refrain from any actions or
> user-facing communication regarding this topic.

Thus, let's start a vote on dropping Python 2 for MXNet 1.6.
It's fine if this vote fails, but we need to get a clear understanding
how we want to move forward.

For better visibility, I'm removing the In-Reply-To: header, which was
pointing to CAHTWJDOrqsrBAU0A89xJwAsaWGBvGz7BOJSU6TKmxDL+RUH8-Q@mail.gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Python 2 Removal for MXNet 1.6

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@gmail.com>.
No, the vote was cancelled.

Pedro Larroy <pe...@gmail.com> schrieb am Sa., 7. Sep. 2019,
00:05:

Posted by Pedro Larroy <pe...@gmail.com>.
Did this vote pass? Can we remove Python2 support from master?

Posted by Pedro Larroy <pe...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Leonard Lausen <le...@lausen.nl>.