Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by hepabolu <os...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/13 20:55:06 UTC

Question about Daisy to Forrest plugin

Hi Ross,

I'm wondering about the current state of your Daisy-to-Forrest plugin,
is it possible to use it any time soon?

Something else: the current Cocoon documentation site layout is
described in various book.xml and site.xml files. It would be great if
you could use those, but the only link between the current Daisy version
and the old xdoc version of a document is in the conversion logfile that
Bruno created when he imported the files in Daisy.

My idea is that you will have a very difficult time getting the old
structure of the site imposed on the new Daisy output (whatever your
plugin generates), due to the renumbering/renaming of the documents.
Unless you have a very nifty conversion that takes this logfile and
recreates the "old" names. But then again, this will not be 100% correct
since I have reshuffled a few of these documents into several new
documents, so hand tweaking would be necessary after each export.

I'm thinking of recreating the complete navigation structure in Daisy,
so you can use that as a "site.xml" version. Since that is a lot of
work, I'd like to know if you have other ideas.

Bye, Helma

Re: Question about Daisy to Forrest plugin

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
hepabolu wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>> CREATED IMAGE forms_field_datatype_relation.png => 409
>>> CREATED userdocs/actions/actions.xml => 425

>> <match pattern="forms_field_datatype_relation.png">
>>    <location
>> src="http://cocoon.zones.apache.org:9263/publisher/blob?documentId=400&amp;version=live&amp;partType=3"
>> />
>> </match>
>>
>> <match pattern="userdocs/actions.xml">
>>    <location
>> src="http://cocoon.zones.apache.org:9263/publisher/document?documentId=425&amp;includeNavigation=false&amp;locale=en_US&amp;version=live"
>> />
>> </match>
>>
>> Note the daisy documentID is given as a parameter.
>>
>> I'm no whizz with tools to do this kind of processing - anyone able to
>> write an sed script (or something) to do this?
>

> Hmm, with some clever search and replace I could turn the documents into
> a Daisy navigation document. This seems to be the same amount of work as
> rewriting the logfile into your locationmap AND I can fix the
> discrepancies there are between the current state of the docs and that
> at the time of the import/logfile.

Yes, that is true. The disadvantage of this approach is you are left
with an urlspace that has all those Daisy ID's in it. The plugin does
not use Diasy's URL mapping yet.

> Will you still be needing the "match image name to daisyID" matching
> after I have done the conversion? Or, does your plugin automatically
> handle the conversion of an image "embedded" in a Daisy document?

It will be done in the location map, the matchers becomes much simpler
though:

<match pattern="*.daisy.png">
    <location
src="http://cocoon.zones.apache.org:9263/publisher/blob?documentId={1}&amp;version=live&amp;partType=3"

/>
</match>

The conversion of urls to the *.daisy.png pattern is handled by the plugin.

> Ok. I'll go ahead and turn at least the documents into a Daisy
> navigation document. I'll add it to the "legacy docs" site, so we can
> rearrange the "official docs" any way we like until all legacy docs are
> either moved or retired.

That's the advantage of using the daisy nav system. You have editing all
in one place. We can address the URL space later if it becomes a problem.

Ross

Re: Question about Daisy to Forrest plugin

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
hepabolu wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:

>> There is a locationmap in the 0.8 version of Forrest that defines
>> where content is to be retrieved from. It would be possible to create
>> a locationmap for all the entries in site.xml/book.xml files in the
>> existing site. However, that is a long and tedious job, unless the
>> logfile can be processed by something or other to produce the
>> locationmap.
>>
>> Where is the logfile?
>

> Check the home page of the "legacy docs" site in Daisy in cocoon.zones.
>
> It has a form like:
>
> CREATED IMAGE forms_field_datatype_relation.png => 409
> CREATED userdocs/actions/actions.xml => 425
>
> Is this helpful?

Yes, it is, we can generate the locationmap from this using a text
processor. Basically we will need to convert the above to sopmething like:

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Upayavira wrote:
> hepabolu wrote:
>
>> Ross Gardler wrote:
>>

>>> The good news is that the release version of 1.3 has an equivalent
>>> interface. Therefore, we need to upgrade the version of Daisy in the
>>> zone to the release version of 1.3. I don't have access to the zone
>>> to do this.
>

> As far as I'm concerned, if you're prepared to get this working, you've
> earned access to the zone.

I'm willing to get it working, not sure when, it won't be for at least a
week, but if you want to give me access so that I can do it when time
comes around, fine by me.

Ross

Re: Question about Daisy to Forrest plugin

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
hepabolu wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>

>> The good news is that the release version of 1.3 has an equivalent
>> interface. Therefore, we need to upgrade the version of Daisy in the
>> zone to the release version of 1.3. I don't have access to the zone to
>> do this.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're prepared to get this working, you've
earned access to the zone.

Upayavira

Re: Question about Daisy to Forrest plugin

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> The good news is that the release version of 1.3 has an equivalent
> interface. Therefore, we need to upgrade the version of Daisy in the
> zone to the release version of 1.3. I don't have access to the zone to
> do this.

Me neither (I think), besides I have no experience with upgrading an
existing Daisy configuration.

> There is a locationmap in the 0.8 version of Forrest that defines where
> content is to be retrieved from. It would be possible to create a
> locationmap for all the entries in site.xml/book.xml files in the
> existing site. However, that is a long and tedious job, unless the
> logfile can be processed by something or other to produce the locationmap.
>
> Where is the logfile?

Check the home page of the "legacy docs" site in Daisy in cocoon.zones.

It has a form like:

CREATED IMAGE forms_field_datatype_relation.png => 409
CREATED userdocs/actions/actions.xml => 425

Is this helpful?

> If we can't auto generate the locationmap from the logs I would think it
> is easier to create a new navigation document in Daisy.

OK. Just let me know if it's doable. Otherwise I'll start building the
navigation doc in the "legacy docs" site.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 13 Sep 2005, at 22:57, Ross Gardler wrote:

> The good news is that the release version of 1.3 has an equivalent
> interface. Therefore, we need to upgrade the version of Daisy in the
> zone to the release version of 1.3. I don't have access to the zone to
> do this.

I'll upgrade that instance early next week.

</Steven>
Outerthought                              Open Source Java & XML
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Question about Daisy to Forrest plugin

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
hepabolu wrote:
> I'm wondering about the current state of your Daisy-to-Forrest plugin,
> is it possible to use it any time soon?

The plugin has been working with 1.2 for some time. Version 1.2 of Daisy
had an http interface to the repository that the plugin used, it was
removed during development of 1.3 (i.e. in the version in the Cocoon zone).

The good news is that the release version of 1.3 has an equivalent
interface. Therefore, we need to upgrade the version of Daisy in the
zone to the release version of 1.3. I don't have access to the zone to
do this.

> Something else: the current Cocoon documentation site layout is
> described in various book.xml and site.xml files. It would be great if
> you could use those, but the only link between the current Daisy version
> and the old xdoc version of a document is in the conversion logfile that
> Bruno created when he imported the files in Daisy.

There is a locationmap in the 0.8 version of Forrest that defines where
content is to be retrieved from. It would be possible to create a
locationmap for all the entries in site.xml/book.xml files in the
existing site. However, that is a long and tedious job, unless the
logfile can be processed by something or other to produce the locationmap.

Where is the logfile?

> My idea is that you will have a very difficult time getting the old
> structure of the site imposed on the new Daisy output (whatever your
> plugin generates), due to the renumbering/renaming of the documents.
> Unless you have a very nifty conversion that takes this logfile and
> recreates the "old" names. But then again, this will not be 100% correct
> since I have reshuffled a few of these documents into several new
> documents, so hand tweaking would be necessary after each export.

I think our locationmap will solve this problem, it is designed so that
the location of the source file need bear no resemblence to the
requested URL.

> I'm thinking of recreating the complete navigation structure in Daisy,
> so you can use that as a "site.xml" version. Since that is a lot of
> work, I'd like to know if you have other ideas.

The plugin can use a combination of site.xml and daisy navigation
documents. I'll take a look at the logfile and see if I think it is
possible to auto generate the locationmap. Then as the Daisy documents
become better managed we can gradually replace the site.xml stuff with
daisy navigation.