Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jim Tivy <ji...@bluestream.com> on 2007/02/17 23:19:34 UTC

Page Slop

We tried to ship a project with .93.  We almost made it, however something
we coined as "page slop" stopped us so we went back to FOP.20 and it looks
like we will ship with FOP .20.  Were were using a trick of sizing even
pages as zero to avoid rendering on even pages because the customer wanted a
book with every left page blank.

We are using the Dita open toolkit XSLs to create the fo Xml which creates
tons of nested blocks.  At any rate, if there was a large continguous block
following the blank even page it "pushed back" a couple of lines onto the
previous even page even though there was not space to render there and
issued the following error:

Feb 17, 2007 2:16:30 PM org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.PageSequenceLayoutManager$1
notifyOverflow
WARNING: Content of the region-body on page 8 overflows the available area
in block-progression dimension. (fo
:page-sequence, location: 129/74)

Here are the masters in use.  If someone in looking into this is detail I
can send you the .fo file directly since the content is somewhat
confidential to the client.

  <fo:layout-master-set>
      <fo:page-sequence-master master-name="bothFlow">
            <fo:conditional-page-master-reference odd-or-even="odd"
master-reference="oddFlow"/>
            <fo:conditional-page-master-reference odd-or-even="even"
               master-reference="evenFlowBlank"/>
      </fo:page-sequence-master>
      <fo:simple-page-master page-width="8.5in" page-height="11in"
margin-top="0in"
         margin-bottom="0in" margin-left="0pc" margin-right="0pc"
master-name="oddFlow">
         <fo:region-body margin-left=".5in" margin-right=".5in"
margin-top="1in" margin-bottom="1in"/>
         <fo:region-before region-name="beforeOdd" extent="1in"/>
         <fo:region-after region-name="afterOdd" extent="0.5in"/>
      </fo:simple-page-master>
      <fo:simple-page-master page-width="8.5in" page-height="11in"
margin-top="0in"
         margin-bottom="0in" margin-left="0in" margin-right="0in"
master-name="evenFlowBlank">
         <fo:region-body margin-left=".5in" margin-right=".5in"
margin-top="8in" margin-bottom="3in"/>
         <fo:region-after region-name="afterFlowBlank" extent="0.5in"/>
      </fo:simple-page-master>

Re: Page Slop

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Feb 25, 2007, at 21:40, Jim Tivy wrote:

Hi Jim,

> Below is my further info. Any follow up on this?

Sorry, missed this one the first time, it seems...

OK, I think I see why you're using a zero-height region-body...

>> <snip />
>> Someone suggested this might be illegal in XSL - but it is
>> accepted in both
>> .20 and .93.

AFAICT from the Recommendation, what you're doing isn't illegal, and
since it seems to be working in the general case, you may just have
stumbled upon some kind of anomaly that would make a good testcase.

If you can, try to trim it down to the smallest possible FO file that
demonstrates the weird behaviour, and attach that to a Bugzilla
entry. (even if 'the smallest possible' means an FO generating at
least 8 pages)

That would certainly help a lot in tracking this down further.

TIA!

Andreas

RE: Page Slop

Posted by Jim Tivy <ji...@bluestream.com>.
Hey Andreas or other

Below is my further info. Any follow up on this?

cheers
Jim

RE: Page Slop

Posted by Jim Tivy <ji...@bluestream.com>.
THanks for the response

Re: Page Slop

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.

RE: Page Slop

Posted by Jim Tivy <ji...@bluestream.com>.
One related fact.

When I played with keeps and getting rid of blocks FOP.93 went bezerk and
started loosing content - content vanished into thin air.

I did however, find that with a mix of keeps and removal of nested boxes I
was able to trick the bug out of existence - not something I could ship to a
customer tho since their content changes all the time.