Posted to dev@juneau.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2017/06/13 01:02:25 UTC

[DRAFT] What the new Status Pages potentially look like

All,

We're piloting a new format for the podling status pages.  Specifically,
the current status page leaves a lot to be desired - it's basically crafted
html, there's no structure and its hard to find missing items.  The end
goal is to have a web form editable in Whimsy, but until we get more input
on what the content looks like I don't want to make changes like that.  I'm
asking at this point for podlings to take a look at the status output,
potentially update their own content, and see if they like the output.

If you navigate to https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/ (authentication
is via your ASF committer username/password) and find your podling, you'll
see your current roster as well as your current status information.

The status pages can be found in SVN at this directory
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/podlings/

Some more information can be found at
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9504139b5ee9880fdb278f86757803c711fbc962e1934ef2c01a8ed0@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

If you're not sure what to fill out, feel free to reach out.

John

Re: [DRAFT] What the new Status Pages potentially look like

Posted by Katherine Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
If you are making edits, can you take me off as mentor? I am so happy to see the recent activity on the Edgent list. Looks like you folks are doing great!

Thanks

Katherine

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 9:04 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> Jim,
>
> For your specific cases, if all you want is to remove red text:
>
> - for :sga: enter the date in YYYY-MM-DD format of when the ASF Secretary
> acknowledged your SGA.  Based on the records I have its 2016-03-15
> - For the :asfCopyright: and :distributionRights: attributes, I would use
> 2017-01-20 as that's the day of the results of 2.8 which was the first
> release to have no issues during review.
>
> But please do continue to provide input, want to make sure we're building
> something useful, not a pain.

Suggestion: let's start talking about how we should make the roster
page prompt for, validate, and apply any changes.

As in, for every field that is editable, there should be a way to
bring up an HTML form.  That form should contain explanatory text, and
perform validations.  Submitting that form should update the
appropriate YAML file in svn, and potentially notify various lists of
the change.

If people can provide the information above for a single field, I can
implement that change for the first field and people can use that as
an example to do the same for other fields.

> HTH,
>
> John

- Sam Ruby

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Here are some suggestions:
>
> 1. Only make this the reporting structure for new podlings.
> Grandfather in old podlings to the old structure, since they may
> already have workflows built around it. Impala does.

We don't need to delete the old structure; but we will soon get to the
point where there is tooling that depends on the new structure being
in place.  Let's create the new structure for old podlings, given that
(if history is any guide) there are podlings that exist now that won't
be graduating for many years.

I'd also suggest that we consider reconciling this with how we capture
data for PMCs (currently FOAF).  Anything that makes podlings be
modeled as much as possible like prototype PMCs is a good thing.

> 2. Provide a clear description of the meaning and formatting of each
> field in comments on the YAML file itself.

My recommendation is to treat the YAML file as internal state, and
focus instead of providing a usable web interface to manage the
internal state.

> 3. Provide guidance on how long it takes from SVN checkin to whimsy
> render change.

10 minutes.

> 4. Use git, not SVN

From an automation perspective, svn is preferred.  If we make the
normal way to update this data a web interface, svn is reasonable as
an exception mechanism, IMHO.

> 5. Make sure the Whimsy page applies to all projects. For instance,
> Impala releases are source tarballs, so if "Binary Distribution
> Licensing" means something about a non-source-tarball release
> artefact, it's not meaningful for Impala.
>
> 6. Give the fields on the whimsy page names that correspond,
> one-to-one, with the YAML fields.
>
> 7. Give the Whimsy page headers more specific meanings. "Confirmation
> of ASF Copyright Headers on Source Code on" could mean confirmation by
> any number of people or committees. Which one is meant by this phrase?
> If it's the IPMC, and the first approved release is what is meant by
> this, change the name to "First Apache release" or something.
>
> 8. Provide the ability to lookup the information required to fill out
> the status page. How can a podling find out when the SGA was received?
> Please remember that podling personnel can change during incubation.

- Sam Ruby

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 3:50 PM Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the responses.
>
> >> 5. Make sure the Whimsy page applies to all projects. For instance,
> >> Impala releases are source tarballs, so if "Binary Distribution
> >> Licensing" means something about a non-source-tarball release
> >> artefact, it's not meaningful for Impala.
> >>

> > Hmm that's interesting.  The ASF only releases source code.  However, the
> > second check is that your resulting binary is also compliant.
>
> The "your resulting binary" is for projects that distribute
> convenience binaries?

No - but either way Impala is probably in the clear.

The resulting binary is an issue if:

- You use statically linked libraries (e.g. they get embedded in the binary)
- You do provide a distribution style binary that includes them in the
package (e.g. a rpm or deb or tar or zip)

As an example, ActiveMQ Artemis depends on an optional extension for
libaio.  libaio is LGPL licensed.  This binary is OK because it is
optional, the user has to do something to enable it.  But do note they ship
it as a convenience.

Re: [DRAFT] What the new Status Pages potentially look like

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.
Thank you for the responses.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Jim,

Thanks for the input!

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 1:22 PM Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Here are some suggestions:
>
> 1. Only make this the reporting structure for new podlings.
> Grandfather in old podlings to the old structure, since they may
> already have workflows built around it. Impala does.

So far, this is an experiment only.  No one is required to fill it out yet.

> 2. Provide a clear description of the meaning and formatting of each
> field in comments on the YAML file itself.

At some point, the yaml files will be there in spirit only and the actual
entry will be done via this screen.  There would need to be a read only
version available as well.

> 3. Provide guidance on how long it takes from SVN checkin to whimsy
> render change.
>
> 4. Use git, not SVN
>
> 5. Make sure the Whimsy page applies to all projects. For instance,
> Impala releases are source tarballs, so if "Binary Distribution
> Licensing" means something about a non-source-tarball release
> artefact, it's not meaningful for Impala.

Hmm that's interesting.  The ASF only releases source code.  However, the
second check is that your resulting binary is also compliant.

> 6. Give the fields on the whimsy page names that correspond,
> one-to-one, with the YAML fields.

It isn't 1:1, specifically, because some of the information is either/or in
nature.

> 7. Give the Whimsy page headers more specific meanings. "Confirmation
> of ASF Copyright Headers on Source Code on" could mean confirmation by
> any number of people or committees. Which one is meant by this phrase?
> If it's the IPMC, and the first approved release is what is meant by
> this, change the name to "First Apache release" or something.

Agreed.

> 8. Provide the ability to lookup the information required to fill out
> the status page. How can a podling find out when the SGA was received?
> Please remember that podling personnel can change during incubation.

True, but podlings should also have access to mail archives which includes
the SGA that was filed.  Worst case, ask your mentor, or even better, when
secretary receives it they set this value.

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.
Here are some suggestions:

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Jim,

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi John -

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by "P. Ottlinger" <po...@apache.org>.
Hi John,

thanks for your work!

Looks very nice:
https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/tamaya

Phil

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Pierre,

If this would go anywhere, dev@whimsical would be the best place.  I've
changed the To/Bcc.

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 3:20 PM Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI John,
>
> Thank you for undertaking the effort to make the admin activities for
> incubating project a bit easier.
>
> I have looked at the proposed solution and have some observations (as part
> of the Trafodion PPMC) to share:
>
>    - Adding new mentors should be as easy as adding new PPMC members

Yes, within the notion of permissions.  E.g. the IPMC can add mentors, not
PPMCs.

>    - I see functionality in place to add new PPMC members, but didn't see
>    the functionality to add new committers (maybe it is a documentation
>    issue?).

Agreed, its awkward.  When you click on new and search for a name, it
prompts you to add as PPMC or committer.

>    - I would rename 'Reporting Schedule' to 'Reporting'
>    - I would label the reporting schedule with 'Schedule'

I feel like these two contradict.

>    - I would bring the link to the previous reports below the earlier
>    renamed (sub) header
>    - I would add a (sub) header 'Releases' and add functionality to add a
>    release (simple web form with 2 fields: 1 for name of the release, 1 for
>    the date of the release) that would feed in new reports

Podling releases are already recorded in reporter.  We were thinking about
pulling that data in.

>    - The 'PodlingNameSearch' clickable/function should open (render in) a
>    new window,
>    - The project's website clickable/function  should open (render in) a
>    new window.

Sure.

>    - I fear to test-drive the functionality behind the 'Draft graduation
>    resolution' even though our project is on the brink of starting the
>    graduation process. I need some explanation in order to get a feel of
> what
>    to expect...

It only prompts you with some display data, it does not submit the
resolution.

>    - I would like to see a 'Generate Report' functionality in place
>    (similar to that functionality available to graduated projects) that
> will
>    help me with some of the standard fill-outs (numbers of ML subscribers,
> ML
>    postings, Issues, Commits) as this is cumbersome atm.

We don't like that data specifically because its generated.

> I also looked at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/
> trunk/content/podlings/trafodion.yml
> <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/podlings/trafodion.yml>
> for the Trafodion project. Nothing
> much in there, correct? Some elements will be augmented as a result of
> INFRA deliverables, correct?

No... not sure what INFRA has to do with this.  I'm not planning for a
heavy migration.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Pierre,

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.