Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com> on 2008/07/25 11:41:42 UTC

Re: [Xmlgraphics-fop Wiki] Update of "AreaTreeIntermediateXml/NewDesign" by JeremiasMaerki

Hi,

> The following page has been changed by JeremiasMaerki:
> http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/AreaTreeIntermediateXml/NewDesign
>
> The comment on the change is:
> Added an idea related to the IF & changed proposed split interface names
>
> + + We can make three categories of renderers:
> +
> +  1. no resource optimization (Java2D-based output formats, PCL, Text, SVG)
> +  1. implicit resource optimization (PDF due to its object structure, Mars)
> +  1. explicit resource optimization (PostScript, AFP)
> +
> + Please note, that this mechanism is only useful to the third category, so the mechanism will not be enabled unless done so explicitely. For formats like PDF this processing is not necessary since resources are added as they are needed.

Couldn’t it have an optional interest for PDF? To produce optimized PDFs
and accelerate the online rendering (fast web view or something like
that)? If that has any interest at all...

<snip/>

Vincent

Re: [Xmlgraphics-fop Wiki] Update of "AreaTreeIntermediateXml/NewDesign" by JeremiasMaerki

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 25.07.2008 11:41:42 Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > The following page has been changed by JeremiasMaerki:
> > http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/AreaTreeIntermediateXml/NewDesign
> >
> > The comment on the change is:
> > Added an idea related to the IF & changed proposed split interface names
> >
> > + + We can make three categories of renderers:
> > +
> > +  1. no resource optimization (Java2D-based output formats, PCL, Text, SVG)
> > +  1. implicit resource optimization (PDF due to its object structure, Mars)
> > +  1. explicit resource optimization (PostScript, AFP)
> > +
> > + Please note, that this mechanism is only useful to the third category, so the mechanism will not be enabled unless done so explicitely. For formats like PDF this processing is not necessary since resources are added as they are needed.
>
> Couldn’t it have an optional interest for PDF? To produce optimized PDFs
> and accelerate the online rendering (fast web view or something like
> that)? If that has any interest at all...

I was thinking about that. Theoretically, yes, to a certain degree, but
PDFs are rarely produced through the intermediate format. The problem:
the feature will only work (have any effect) if the IF is serialized and
rendered/painted later. When rendering is done in one pass, the painter
kicks in before all the resources are known.

> <snip/>
>
> Vincent

Jeremias Maerki