Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Wei, Mingzhen" <we...@mst.edu> on 2012/07/06 18:44:38 UTC

Tomcat building problems: Apache Tomcat 5.5 Servelet/JSP container

I was trying to build Apache Tomcat 5.5 Servelet for another application. I followed the steps from the link: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/building.html.
I have done the following:

1.       Installed JDK1.6

2.       Download and installed Apache Ant 1.8.4

3.       Download Tomcat 5.5 source package in zip file

4.       Set and updated the environment parameters for JAVA_HOME, PATH, ANT_HOME

I cannot run the following step "ant download" correctly. It complains the "includeantruntime" setup, and alerting me with errors for classes as BasicDataSource, DelegatingStatement, DelegatingPreparedStatement, and many more. The errors say that those classes as not abstract and do not override the abstract methods in other sources.

Please tell me how to fix the problem, thank you very much.

Mingzhen

Re: Tomcat building problems: Apache Tomcat 5.5 Servelet/JSP container

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Tomcat building problems: Apache Tomcat 5.5 Servelet/JSP container

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat building problems: Apache Tomcat 5.5 Servelet/JSP container

> Considering the number of times this has come up on the list, I do not
> understand why the people who make the Service installer don't just add
> the missing files in (tomcat)/bin and bring this matter to rest once and
> for all.

> Of course, then we'd still have to explain that the Service, once installed,
> does not use the .bat files when running as a service.

Possibly exactly because of that - the service users will be wondering why their highly inappropriate muckings about with startup.bat and catalina.bat aren't effective.  I think it would be better if the links on the download page looked something like this:

    zip (pgp, md5) - runs only via scripts on Windows
    tar.gz (pgp, md5)
    32-bit Windows zip (pgp, md5) - runs via scripts or as a service
    64-bit Windows zip (pgp, md5) - runs via scripts or as a service
    32-bit/64-bit Windows Service Installer (pgp, md5) - runs only as a service

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat building problems: Apache Tomcat 5.5 Servelet/JSP container

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Pid wrote:
> On 11/07/2012 22:26, Wei, Mingzhen wrote:
>> Konstantin,
>>
>> I followed the RUNNING.TXT after installing the binary release of Tomcat 5.5. But I cannot find the catalina.bat and catalina.sh for more environmental variables to set.
>>
>> Why tomcat is such a pain for installation?
>
> It's not.  You're making it harder.
>
> Seriously, just download the actual binaries:
>
>  http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi
>  http://tomcat.apache.org/download-60.cgi
>  http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi
>
> Those are for Tomcat 7.0, 6.0 and 5.5.

My quarter :
Yes, but I believe that the OP's confusion is due (again) to the fact that for Windows,
there are two possibilities (the zip and the Service installer), and that the Service
installer version does not contain all the same files as the zip version.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 11/07/2012 22:26, Wei, Mingzhen wrote:
> Konstantin,
>
> I followed the RUNNING.TXT after installing the binary release of Tomcat 5.5. But I cannot find the catalina.bat and catalina.sh for more environmental variables to set.
>
> Why tomcat is such a pain for installation?

It's not.  You're making it harder.

Seriously, just download the actual binaries:

 http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi
 http://tomcat.apache.org/download-60.cgi
 http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi

Those are for Tomcat 7.0, 6.0 and 5.5.

> Thanks for your help.

[key:62590808]

RE: Tomcat building problems: Apache Tomcat 5.5 Servelet/JSP container

Posted by "Wei, Mingzhen" <we...@mst.edu>.
Konstantin,

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Wei, Mingzhen" <we...@mst.edu>.
Konstantin Kolinko,

Could you tell me the point in more detail? I am new with Tomcat and need it badly to be able to run another application.

Do you mean I need to try the combination of ant5.5 download + Ant 1.8.4 and JDK 1.4.2_19?

Thanks.

Mingzhen Wei, PhD
Assistant Research Professor
Petroleum Engineering Program
Department of Geological Sciences and Engineering
330 McNutt Hall, 1400 N. Bishop Ave.
Missouri University of Science and Technology
Rolla, Missouri   65409-0410

Email:  weim@mst.edu

Office phone:  (573) 341-4657
Cell phone:  (573) 201-3924
Fax: (573)-341-6935

> On 7/6/12 12:54 PM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> 2012/7/6 Wei, Mingzhen <we...@mst.edu>:
>>> I was trying to build Apache Tomcat 5.5 Servelet for another
>>> application. I followed the steps from the link:
>>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/building.html. I have done
>>> the following:
>>>
>>> 1.       Installed JDK1.6
>>>
>>> 2.       Download and installed Apache Ant 1.8.4
>>>
>>> 3.       Download Tomcat 5.5 source package in zip file
>>>
>>> 4.       Set and updated the environment parameters for
>>> JAVA_HOME, PATH, ANT_HOME
>>>
>>> I cannot run the following step "ant download" correctly. It
>>> complains the "includeantruntime" setup, and alerting me with errors
>>> for classes as BasicDataSource, DelegatingStatement,
>>> DelegatingPreparedStatement, and many more. The errors say that
>>> those classes as not abstract and do not override the abstract
>>> methods in other sources.
>>
>> 1. You need JDK 1.4 to build Tomcat 5.5. 2. The version of Ant
>> targeted by the build script is 1.6.2.
>
> With only a little bit of digging, I couldn't find an earliest-version
> of Ant that supports the "includeAntRuntime" attribute for <javac>.
> But, I suspect that 1.6.2 *does* support it, so there doesn't seem to
> be a reason not to specify a value for it in the build file. That will
> allow Tomcat 5.5 to be built with later ant versions (but, of course,
> using the proper JDK version).

It is an interesting note. Anyway,
1. "ant download deploy" in 5.5 builds correctly with Ant 1.8.4 and JDK 1.4.2_19.  So I do not see what the fix will bring besides a silenced warning.

2. Anyone may propose a patch for 5.5 (either in STATUS or in bugzilla).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Tomcat building problems: Apache Tomcat 5.5 Servelet/JSP container

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat building problems: Apache Tomcat 5.5 Servelet/JSP container

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/7/6 Wei, Mingzhen <we...@mst.edu>:
> I was trying to build Apache Tomcat 5.5 Servelet for another application. I followed the steps from the link: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/building.html.
> I have done the following:
>
> 1.       Installed JDK1.6
>
> 2.       Download and installed Apache Ant 1.8.4
>
> 3.       Download Tomcat 5.5 source package in zip file
>
> 4.       Set and updated the environment parameters for JAVA_HOME, PATH, ANT_HOME
>
> I cannot run the following step "ant download" correctly. It complains the "includeantruntime" setup, and alerting me with errors for classes as BasicDataSource, DelegatingStatement, DelegatingPreparedStatement, and many more. The errors say that those classes as not abstract and do not override the abstract methods in other sources.

1. You need JDK 1.4 to build Tomcat 5.5.
2. The version of Ant targeted by the build script is 1.6.2.

One of the reasons why you cannot build it with Java 6, is that the
version of Apache Commons DBCP used in it has to run on Java 1.4 and
cannot be built with Java 6 because of java.sql API changes.

See also BUILDING.txt in the source distributive or in svn repository.
It is more authoritative than building.html.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko