Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ts...@web.de on 2005/04/02 10:34:28 UTC

SA does not check messages which have already be marked in the header

Hi,
I am running SA 3. on Linux with Postfix and Cyrus (invoked as content_filter via PIPE in Postfix using spamd/spamc). In general SA is workig fine.

Now I saw that some messages are already marked by my mailbox provider. For some reasons I want my SA to work on these messages again (one is to rewrite the subject, what my provider does not do).
Obviously my SA skips messages wich are already marked.

Can I switch this "skip" off?

As a next step: I am thinking about using the results of the provider´s test in my test. Pretty straightforward would be to write a rule on the X-Spam-Level and add a certain score to my lokal test. Any better ideas to this?

Thx & cheers
Thomas

Re: SA does not check messages which have already be marked in the header

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 03:34 AM 4/2/2005, tschloss@web.de wrote:
>Obviously my SA skips messages wich are already marked.
>
>Can I switch this "skip" off?

SA itself doesn't "skip" messages that are already marked. Period.

You'll have to look at the configuration you're using to call SA, as the
only way to "skip" messages is to not call spamassassin in the first place.
  (ie: check your procmail.rc if you use procmail.)

Re: SA does not check messages which have already be marked in the header

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
Is it possible you have procmail set up to check for X-Spam-Status: Yes in
the incoming mail and bypass SA?  Some people do this sort of thing.  (But
you don't want to bypass on a status of No, of course.)

        Loren

Re: AW: SA does not check messages which have already be marked in the header

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Thomas,

Saturday, April 2, 2005, 2:43:14 AM, you wrote:

TS> Two hints: one ist that the name of the host which added the SPAM info
TS> to the header ist not mine but the hosterŽs. The second is that I
TS> rewrite the subject and put the original mail in an attachment while
TS> the mails I receive have no changes in subject and body (just in the
TS> X-SPAM header fields).

TS> Maybe I should chekc the SA log files to find out more. I thought that
TS> this skipping is a well known feature of SA.

There's something on your system that's doing this, not SA.

I have the opposite problem -- emails for one of the domains I manage
go through a system with an excellent anti-spam system, including SA,
which more correctly identifies spam than the limited SA system
provided by my shared virtual web host. I'd like to go with the feeder
system's analysis, and use the local system only for spam which goes
directly to the web host's servers (and only spam does that), but I
don't have that flexibility. My web host throws away the feeder
system's headers and makes its own (slightly less accurate)
determination.

Bob Menschel

AW: SA does not check messages which have already be marked in the header

Posted by Thomas Schlosser <ts...@web.de>.

> > Obviously my SA skips messages wich are already marked.
>
> What makes you think this?
>
> So far as I know, SA strips (most) previous SA headers from
> the mail, then processes it.  So you may or may not get the
> same results the second time.
>
>         Loren

Two hints: one ist that the name of the host which added the SPAM info
to the header ist not mine but the hoster´s. The second is that I
rewrite the subject and put the original mail in an attachment while
the mails I receive have no changes in subject and body (just in the
X-SPAM header fields).

Maybe I should chekc the SA log files to find out more. I thought that
this skipping is a well known feature of SA.

Thx

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.