Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by peter pilsl <pi...@goldfisch.at> on 2006/02/18 14:33:33 UTC

[users@httpd] The real meaning of TimeOut-Directive and Upload of big files

I have apache2 running and some users use a cgi-uploadform on the server
and IE to upload bigger files. They report that with "big files" in
approx. 50% the upload fails and IE prints a page "requested page is not
available"

I was thinking if this is a TimeOut-Problem with apache or with IE and
if I could resolv the issue by changing the TimeOut-Directive to a
bigger value.

What happens if a user uploads a big file and the upload takes longer
than specified in "TimeOut"?

There seems to be a different meaning when using POST and/or GET.  With
GET its the total time and with POST its the time between receiving
tcp-packages.  (according to the docs of the apache-core-module)

For uploading files is always POST (?) the upload should also be able to
take hours without the TimeOut-Directive getting in the way as long as a
package sneaks in every 300seconds?

thnx,