Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Alexander Schatten <al...@gmx.at> on 2008/09/26 09:06:03 UTC

James as "simple" nntp server

I am programming a tool that is working with nntp servers (extracting
data...) and need a simple nntp server locally for testing purposes
(dont want to hit live servers with unit tests...).

So I was thinking of Apache James. Now there are two issues:

(1) I do not need a mailserver; I figured I can disable the mailsever in
the config file (hope this has no side effects to nntp...?)

(2) I do not find much documentation about the nntp part in James. And
as it seems, it is not running by default.

telnet localhost 119

gives "no connection".

Now my question: is there somewhere an easy config/documentation to be
found for setting up a simple local nntp server with a handfull of groups?

thanks a lot

Alex

Re: James as "simple" nntp server

Posted by Alexander Schatten <al...@gmx.at>.
Sorry to bother again; but I wonder: no one has any idea about James as
pure nntp-test-server?

thank you very much.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Alexander Schatten ha scritto:
> Sorry to bother again; but I wonder: no one has any idea about James as
> pure nntp-test-server?

Sorry Alexander, I think no one is using NNTP server in JAMES these
days. I'm on this lists since 2005 and rarely I read anything about it.
In fact I made many commit/work in JAMES Server since 2005 but nntp
server is one of the less active code modules.

What you may be interested in is that in current trunk we are
modularizing things and we also have an experimental spring deployment.

If you want to try to understand something I suggest you to look at the
code:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/nntpserver-function/

As you can see it depends on many other core apis/libraries, but the
main block has this depedencies:

org.apache.james.socket.JamesConnectionManager
org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.sockets.SocketManager
org.apache.james.nntpserver.repository.NNTPRepository
org.apache.james.api.user.UsersRepository
org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.threads.ThreadManager
org.apache.james.api.dnsservice.DNSService"
org.apache.james.services.MailServer"

NNTPRepository is implemented by NNTPRepositoryImpl that only depends on
    org.apache.james.services.FileSystem that should be easy to mock.

JamesConnectionManager/SocketManager/ThreadManager are from
avalon-socket-library module infrastructure and is the common code we
have between socket based servers, you can simply use it as a library.

UsersRepository and MailServer are the 2 services you may need to
implement in order to do your tests.

If you also wants to "intercept" message reading/writing you can write
your own NNTPRepository interface.

I warn you that code is probably working but has no mantainers since years.

HTH,
Stefano