Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/01 08:33:51 UTC

Re: SJMS needs some TLC

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 11:19 PM, Aaron Whiteside
<aa...@outspoken.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the right place to bring this up, and please let me
> know otherwise..
>
> I think that the SJMS component is in need of some TLC, and I'm prepared to
> put in the effort do give it some.

Yay we love contributions

> Being the biggest issue right now, at least for me (and the company I work
> for).
>
> I'm not sure of who the current maintainer is if any, should I try and talk
> to them or just shutup and code?

With Apache there is *no maintainer*, in the sense that some code /
component is to be maintained be a single individual. Its *all* to be
maintained by *anyone*. So anyone who fancy can help, and the guys
that do this more often, can become committers etc. Though of course
the Camel team is in general maintaining all the code also. But again,
anyone who want to help can do so. We love contributions.
http://camel.apache.org/team

> The biggest concern I have is getting changes accepted in a timely manor..
> (but I do understand for some/most people that this isn't their day job, so
> I can't push that hard) and I don't want to fork off SJMS and make large
> changes, then try and get those changes accepted back in again..

CAMEL-7908 is only reported 2 weeks ago. And CAMEL-7950 is less than 2
weeks. That is frankly not very long time.

And in this time we have closed down on getting 2.12.x and 2.13.x
patch releases out, and thus focus on getting bugs affected those in
that release.

If you want faster reaction, then some of the committers work for
companies that offers professional services around Apache Camel. So
you can use that to get faster attention.
http://camel.apache.org/commercial-camel-offerings.html

> While I'm at it, I have another issue open (with patch) for SJMS:

> That isn't getting any attention..
>
> Just looking for a little guidance. Thanks in advance!

Frankly just keep what you do report issues with patches. And use the
mailing list is also a good idea, as more people read and participate
on mails than a ticket in JIRA. (especially user mailing list).

--
Claus Ibsen