Posted to ddlutils-user@db.apache.org by Ch...@kost.admin.ch on 2006/02/16 11:35:49 UTC

NullPointerException creating a new platform instance using hsqld b

Hi,

I try to use an hsqldb database in my application. The following code throws
a NullPointerException at the last line (>):

	Class.forName( "org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" );
	org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcDataSource ds = new
org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcDataSource();
	ds.setDatabase(db.getName());
	ds.setUser("sa");
	ds.setPassword("");
>	Platform platform = PlatformFactory.createNewPlatformInstance(ds,
"sa", "");

The hsqldb server ist running...

The Exception:

	at
org.apache.ddlutils.PlatformUtils.determineDatabaseType(PlatformUtils.java:2
48)
	at
org.apache.ddlutils.PlatformFactory.createNewPlatformInstance(PlatformFactor
y.java:136)
	at
ch.eugster.extraction.DatabaseCreator.initDatabase(DatabaseCreator.java:35)
	at ch.eugster.extraction.Main.<init>(Main.java:38)
	at ch.eugster.extraction.Main.main(Main.java:51)

Has anybody a suggestion where the problem lies?

Thanks

Christian

--------------------------------------
Christian Eugster
Koordinationsstelle für die dauerhafte Archivierung elektronischer
Unterlagen
c/o Schweizerisches Bundesarchiv
Archivstrasse 24
3003 Bern

T/ 031 324 17 94
F/ 031 322 78 32
E/ christian.eugster@kost.admin.ch
W/ www.vsa-aas.org/Koordinationsstelle.78.0.html

Re: NullPointerException creating a new platform instance using hsqld b

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.
On 2/16/06, Christian.Eugster@kost.admin.ch
<Ch...@kost.admin.ch> wrote:

> I try to use an hsqldb database in my application. The following code throws
> a NullPointerException at the last line (>):
>
>         Class.forName( "org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" );
>         org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcDataSource ds = new
> org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcDataSource();
>         ds.setDatabase(db.getName());
>         ds.setUser("sa");
>         ds.setPassword("");
> >       Platform platform = PlatformFactory.createNewPlatformInstance(ds,
> "sa", "");
>
> The hsqldb server ist running...
>
> The Exception:

>         at
> org.apache.ddlutils.PlatformUtils.determineDatabaseType(PlatformUtils.java:2
> 48)

Since I've never used the Hsqldb DataSource (I always use DBCP with
Hsqldb), I can only guess here, but looking at the code, its either
that the data source does not return a connection (but does not throw
a SQL exception either as it is supposed to do), or that the
connection does not return a metadata object (and does not throw a SQL
exception either as it is supposed to do).
Either way, could you try this with DBCP instead of the Hsqldb data
source just to see whether it works then ?

Tom