Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org> on 2005/08/14 19:44:38 UTC

note: db upgrade for 1.3

I've started the db upgrade script for 1.3.  I had only one minor change to fix a column name that conflicts with a keyword in MySQL 5.x. See ROL-754.

If you build from latest on trunk (SVN revision 232624 or higher), you will need to apply the 120-to-130-migration.sql script (or rebuild your db from scratch).

--a

Re: note: db upgrade for 1.3

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
These changes are now (exclusively) on the Roller 2.0 branch.

Apologies.
--a.

p.s. I admit an error of judgement in this case.  I am still not OK with the blanket "db changes only in major release revisions"
proposal.

Re: note: db upgrade for 1.3

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 08:50, Lance Lavandowska wrote:
> I think we should avoid a blanket statement of "no db changes except
> for major revisions" and instead opt for a concensus on changes.  It
> may be that a database change is warranted (to fix a particularly
> grievious bug) in a minor version change.

So, I'm going to defend the opposite argument that we absolutely should be able to enforce "no db changes except on major versions."  In my mind *if* we are a mature product then we should very seldomly need db changes and when we do need them we should group them together to make it easier on users.

I don't see how our progress will be stunted by holding db changes to major releases.  We already said that major releases are flexible, but would run roughly once every 3-4 months.  So if we need 3.0 after 2.1 then fine, we do it.

It's possible that our major rel numbers will go up faster, but again, we are supposed to be a mature product and that means our schema should be stable by now.  I fully believe that we shouldn't need to change the schema more often than once every 3-4 months.  If we do then we are just making things hard on our users and that sucks.

That being said, I fully agree with Lance and Anil that group concensus should be the real determining factor when deciding about db updates.  If we feel that a db change is truely needed then we do it.

I don't want it to feel like our release plan is set in stone and cannot be changed.  I think it is simply meant to be a guideline which lays out what we plan to do in most cases.

-- Allen

Re: note: db upgrade for 1.3

Re: note: db upgrade for 1.3

Re: note: db upgrade for 1.3