Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Dr Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@cloudtechnologypartners.co.uk> on 2016/02/01 10:42:29 UTC

When char will be availble in Spark

Hi,

I am using spark on Hive. Some tables have CHAR type characters. It is my
understanding that spark converts varchar characters to String internally
however the Spark version 1.5.2 that I have throws error when the
underlying Hive table has CHAR fields.

I wanted to when Varchar will be available in Spark.

Also Spark does not seem to understand temporary tables. For example the
following throws error

spark-sql> CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tmp AS
         > SELECT t.calendar_month_desc, c.channel_desc,
SUM(s.amount_sold) AS TotalSales
         > FROM sales s, times t, channels c
         > WHERE s.time_id = t.time_id
         > AND   s.channel_id = c.channel_id
         > GROUP BY t.calendar_month_desc, c.channel_desc
         > ;
Error in query: Unhandled clauses: TEMPORARY 1, 2,2, 7
.
You are likely trying to use an unsupported Hive feature.";

Thanks,

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn

Sybase ASE 15 Gold Medal Award 2008
A Winning Strategy: Running the most Critical Financial Data on ASE 15
http://login.sybase.com/files/Product_Overviews/ASE-Winning-Strategy-091908.pdf
Author of the books "A Practitioner’s Guide to Upgrading to Sybase ASE
15", ISBN 978-0-9563693-0-7.
co-author "Sybase Transact SQL Guidelines Best Practices", ISBN
978-0-9759693-0-4
Publications due shortly:
Complex Event Processing in Heterogeneous Environments, ISBN:
978-0-9563693-3-8
Oracle and Sybase, Concepts and Contrasts, ISBN: 978-0-9563693-1-4, volume
one out shortly

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

NOTE: The information in this email is proprietary and confidential. This
message is for the designated recipient only, if you are not the intended
recipient, you should destroy it immediately. Any information in this
message shall not be understood as given or endorsed by
Cloudtechnologypartners Ltd, its subsidiaries or their employees, unless
expressly so stated. It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure
that this email is virus free, therefore neither Cloudtechnologypartners
Ltd, its subsidiaries nor their employees accept any responsibility.