Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Todd Prickett <to...@hotmail.com> on 2007/11/30 17:06:06 UTC

FW: Tiles (Struts 1.3) standalone not working

Hi all,
I'm trying to implement Tiles ( from Struts 1.3 ) into a web that is NOT using Struts.  I've found and followed instruction on doing this and the docs I've found don't seem to work.  The latest docs I've been able to find to do this, BTW, are for 1.1.

The problem I'm having is that tiles isn't finding my tiles-defs.xml file.  At least that is what I assume this error means:

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Can't get definitions factory from context. at org.apache.struts.tiles.taglib.InsertTag.processDefinitionName(Ljava.lang.String;)Lorg.apache.struts.tiles.taglib.InsertTag$TagHandler;(Unknown Source) at org.apache.struts.tiles.taglib.InsertTag.createTagHandler()Lorg.apache.struts.tiles.taglib.InsertTag$TagHandler;(Unknown Source) at org.apache.struts.tiles.taglib.InsertTag.doStartTag()I(Unknown Source)

How do I configure my app to see the tiles-defs.xml?  I've tried each of the following entries (the one currently uncommented and the one that is currently commented) in my web.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd"><web-app>

    <context-param>        <param-name>          org.apache.tiles.impl.BasicTilesContainer.DEFINITIONS_CONFIG        </param-name>        <param-value>          /WEB-INF/tiles-defs.xml,/org/apache/tiles/classpath-defs.xml        </param-value>    </context-param>

    <!-- Uncommented and tried - did not work - TilesServlet doesn't exist in any of the Struts jars -->    <!-- servlet>        <servlet-name>Tiles Servlet</servlet-name>        <servlet-class>org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesServlet</servlet-class>        <init-param>            <param-name>definitions-config</param-name>            <param-value>/WEB-INF/tiles-defs.xml</param-value>        </init-param>        <init-param>            <param-name>definitions-parser-validate</param-name>            <param-value>true</param-value>        </init-param>        <load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>    </servlet -->

</web-app>

Note:  Using the servlet definition ( Tiles Servlet ) failed because TilesServlet doesn't seem to be exist since Struts 1.1.

Can anyone please point me in the correct direction?  TIA

Re: FW: Tiles (Struts 1.3) standalone not working

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/11/30, Todd Prickett <to...@hotmail.com>:
> I'm trying to implement Tiles ( from Struts 1.3 ) into a web that is NOT using Struts.
> Can anyone please point me in the correct direction?

Yes, Tiles 2:
http://tiles.apache.org/

Ciao
Antonio