Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Calahan, Joshua A CTR USAF AFMC AEDC/ATA" <Jo...@arnold.af.mil> on 2008/04/10 14:54:13 UTC

Re: svn client & smartcard certificates

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 09:26:59AM, Joe Orton wrote:
> Getting it working requires some effort; you need all of:
>
> 1) pakchois from http://www.manyfish.co.uk/pakchois/, set up to find the
> PKCS#11 provider(s) of choice
> 2) GnuTLS 2.x from http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/
> 3) neon 0.28.x built against both the above
> 4) Subversion built against that neon 0.28.x install
>
> So, for example, if you have the CoolKey PKCS#11 provider installed at
> /usr/lib/pkcs11/libcoolkeypk11.so, then you would do this:
>
> 1) Build pakchois:
>
>    ./configure --enable-module-path=/usr/lib/pkcs11 --prefix=/usr/local/pkcs11
>    make && make install
>
>    *** very important that pakchois is configured to look in the right
>    directory for PKCS#11 provider loadable modules ***
>
> 2) Build GnuTLS 2.x:
>
>    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pkcs11
>    make && make install
>
> 3) Build neon 0.28.2:
>
>    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pkcs11 --enable-shared \
>         --with-libs=/usr/local/pkcs11 --with-ssl=gnutls
>
>    *** check for this line in the configure output: ***
>
> configure: using pakchois for PKCS11 support
>
>    *** if not present, neon will not have PKCS#11 support ***
>
>    make && make install
>
> 4) Build Subversion 1.5.0 alpha2:
>
>    ./configure --with-neon=/usr/local/pkcs11
>
> This should result in a Subversion build with working PKCS#11 support.
>
> To configure use of the CoolKey provider, you'd then need to add:
>
>    ssl-pkcs11-provider = coolkey
>
> at the appropriate place in ~/.subversion/servers. You could add it in
> the [global] section to use it for all servers, or e.g. to use it for
> all *.mil servers:
>
> [groups]
> cac = *.mil
>
> [cac]
> ssl-pkcs11-provider = coolkey
>
> That should be it. When you try to use an SSL server which requests a
> client cert, you should get prompted for the smartcard PIN.
>
> I'd be very interested in hearing about whether this works for the CAC
> card - let me know if you have problems, or any questions/feedback.

No luck here. I get:

    svn: Invalid config: unable to load PKCS#11 provider 'coolkey'

The only difference from the instructions above is that I'm using the 64-bit libcoolkey, i.e. /usr/lib64/pkcs11/libcoolkeypk11.so. As with Quint, it works with firefox.

I'm using:

pakchois-0.4.tar.gz
gnutls-2.3.4.tar.bz2
subversion-deps-1.5.0-rc1.tar.bz2 (neon 0.28.2)
subversion-1.5.0-rc1.tar.bz2

Thanks,
Josh

RE: svn client & smartcard certificates

Posted by "Calahan, Joshua A CTR USAF AFMC AEDC/ATA" <Jo...@arnold.af.mil>.
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 4:07:00PM, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:54:13AM -0400, Calahan, Joshua A CTR USAF AFMC AEDC/ATA wrote:
> >     svn: Invalid config: unable to load PKCS#11 provider 'coolkey'
> >
> > The only difference from the instructions above is that I'm using the
> > 64-bit libcoolkey, i.e. /usr/lib64/pkcs11/libcoolkeypk11.so. As with
> > Quint, it works with firefox.
>
> Did you configure pakchois using --enable-module-path=/usr/lib64/pkcs11?
>
> If so, can you run svn under strace to check whether the coolkey .so is
> being opened?

I configured pakchois using --enable-module-path=/usr/lib64/pkcs11.

Here is the strace output:

   open("/usr/lib64/pkcs11/libcoolkeypk11.so", O_RDONLY) = 4
   read(4, "\177ELF\2\1\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\3\0>\0\1\0\0\0\300\247\0\0\0\0\0\0"..., 832) = 832
   fstat(4, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0755, st_size=138080, ...}) = 0
   mmap(NULL, 1184720, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_DENYWRITE, 4, 0) = 0x2a970db000
   mprotect(0x2a970fc000, 1049552, PROT_NONE) = 0
   mmap(0x2a971fb000, 8192, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED|MAP_DENYWRITE, 4, 0x20000) = 0x2a971fb000
   close(4)

The output from this point to the end is attached.

Thanks,
Josh

RE: svn client & smartcard certificates

Posted by "Van Deman, Quint CTR US USJFCOM J7" <qu...@att.jfcom.mil>.
No worries Joe, I'll apply the patch this afternoon & attach the output.

Thanks,

Quint

Posted by "Van Deman, Quint CTR US USJFCOM J7" <qu...@att.jfcom.mil>.
Sounds great Joe, I'll try to keep tabs on it, but as you here anything
related to the CryptoAPI work if you could shoot it my way I'd
appreciate it.  I'm obviously not a windows guy either, but invariably
there are folks out there in DOD land developing on windows and we can't
totally shut them out long term.

I'll append the DOD CA certs to /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem, recompile neon
with the ca-bundle switch and see if that takes care of the cert trust
issue.

Thanks again for all of your help!

-Quint

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.

Posted by "Van Deman, Quint CTR US USJFCOM J7" <qu...@att.jfcom.mil>.
Spot on, that was my dumb mistake...

Everything is working perfectly...both co & commits!

See attached...

I will roll up a RHEL5 rpm to see if we can get this into a good useable
for for the average user.

2 follow on questions:
- When svn 1.5 is officially released, will these deps be up to an
appropriate level for all of this to work, or are we still ahead of the
curve?
- Thoughts on a windows build?  How is svn built for windows, cygwin?

As for the certificate acceptance, I have the DoD CA public cert in both
PEM & DER format, just need to know where to drop it so neon will see
it...

Thanks again, great, great work!

- Quint

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.

Posted by "Calahan, Joshua A CTR USAF AFMC AEDC/ATA" <Jo...@arnold.af.mil>.
Dropping down to GnuTLS 2.2.x worked!

Great work Joe!

Thanks,
Josh

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.

Posted by "Calahan, Joshua A CTR USAF AFMC AEDC/ATA" <Jo...@arnold.af.mil>.
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 09:25:15AM -0400, Joe Orton wrote:
> Hi folks, sorry I never followed up with Joshua's report of this
> problem.  I'm not sure why this is failing; I've tested loading coolkey
> on a Fedora 8 system without problems.

No problem. I'm using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. My build steps are attached.

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.

Posted by "Van Deman, Quint CTR US USJFCOM J7" <qu...@att.jfcom.mil>.
Joe--

Thanks again for all of your help & sorry it's taken me a while to get
back to you. I ran into the same error that Joshua did: svn: Invalid
config: unable to load PKCS#11 provider 'coolkey'.

(Just for kicks I also tried libcoolkey & libcoolkeypk11 with the same
result).

I can confirm that I followed your instructions very precisely,
including the enable-module-path=/usr/lib/pkcs11 on the pakchois
configure.

The only deviations I had to make were:
- Had to compile libgrcypt from src (1.4.0 vs. RHEL5 rpm provided
1.2.3-1)
- Had to compile libgpgerror from src (1.6 to meet libgcrypt dep)
- The configure for subversion 1.5.0 beta 1 required neon 0.28.1 vs.
0.28.2

I have attached a strace for your review, one can clearly see
libcoolkeypk11.so being accessed, but I'm not well versed enough in
strace to go much beyond that.

open("/usr/lib/pkcs11/libcoolkeypk11.so", O_RDONLY) = 4
read(4,
"\177ELF\1\1\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\3\0\3\0\1\0\0\0\240|\0\0004\0\0\0"...,
512) = 512
fstat64(4, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0755, st_size=130744, ...}) = 0

Thanks again & let me know what else I can provide for you.

- Quint

gnutls-2.3.6
libgcrypt-1.4.0
libgpgerror-1.6