Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2015/12/17 09:09:18 UTC

[FlexJS] No more JS!

Hi,

I am happy to announce that we've completed the "back port" of the FlexJS
JavaScript files to ActionScript.  There are no longer any JavaScript
source files in the FlexJS framework code base.  All JS-specific code is
now written in ActionScript and cross-compiled to JavaScript.

This is a significant accomplishment because it proves that ActionScript
is a viable object-oriented language for writing JavaScript, similar to
how TypeScript is used.  And it proves that our tool chain and workflow
can be used to create large code bases that utilize 3rd-party libraries.
Thanks go to all of those who were involved in this effort.

I expect that, going forward, our productivity in developing FlexJS will
be higher because we won't have to deal with as many mistakes in our JS
code.  The tool chain catches lots of issues long before you run anything.
 I'm sure there will be bugs to fix from the back port, and plenty of bugs
in JIRA already, but now we can get back to bug fixes and features and
making FlexJS the new way of creating applications.

Short-term, I'm hoping we'll get the regular Flex 4.15.0 SDK released
soon, then I hope to release all of this back-ported code as a FlexJS
0.6.0.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] No more JS!

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

As someone who is working on FlexJS full time, I can honestly say that
Alex and Michael and anyone else who contributed to Falcon et al really
deserves applause. I just follow the formula laid out by Alex, and I can
attest to the fact that writing purely in ActionScript will really speed
things up. I hand-wrote some of the early JS versions of the components
and it was tough, trying to capture everything AS was doing and coming up
with ways to implement them while still trying to keep to the FlexJS
philosophy of pay-as-you-go. Now, using simple notation, you can divide up
your AS class code into stuff that's universal, stuff that's AS-specific,
and stuff that's JS-specific. Very neat and tidy.

Peter Ent
Adobe Systems/Apache Flex Project

Re: [FlexJS] No more JS!

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
Amazing! Way to go!

Re: [FlexJS] No more JS!

RE: [FlexJS] No more JS!

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
Awesome news.  A great milestone.

-Mark

Re: [FlexJS] No more JS!

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
WOW.  A significant milestone!

Re: [FlexJS] No more JS!

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,

A huge thanks definitely goes to you for this! (You SHOULD feel good about your work. It doesn’t sound self centered to me at all.) Your work on the compiler really opened up tremendous possibilities!

Thanks!
Harbs

Re: [FlexJS] No more JS!

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Oh, sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like it was my idea to do the back
port.  Definitely, Mike, Josh and Fred got the ball rolling.

-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] No more JS!

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: [FlexJS] No more JS!

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Amazing! Great to see how things are evolving.

Thanks for the hard work and to get this important milestone!

Carlos

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] No more JS!

Posted by Dany Dhondt <ar...@mac.com>.
Magnificent work guys!

Re: [FlexJS] No more JS!

Posted by Héctor A <ne...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations on the achievement and thanks to all of you for your hard
work!

Re: [FlexJS] No more JS!

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Amazing!