Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by bayee <ba...@ownskin.com> on 2009/03/17 05:33:16 UTC

hadoop migration

Hi,

We are running a website with quiet a lot of traffic. At the moment we
are using about 20 sql servers and about 60 application servers/file
servers. We are thinking of porting everything to hadoop. My question is
does 80 nodes of hadoop can perform much better than 20 sql server + 60
native file servers?

We have tried setup 1 hadoop server and run a simple grep example, and
the speed is very slow. Does hadoop can only perform under a lot of
nodes? What is the minimum of nodes do we need to replace our current 20
sql server + 60 app/file servers?

Best Wishes,
Hsin Yee

Re: hadoop migration

Posted by Stuart Sierra <th...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 2:17 PM, nitesh bhatia
<ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bigtable ???
> Is it opensource ? I am not sure if google has released any code of
> bigtable. So far only 1 research paper is available.

No, Google has never released source code for MapReduce and BigTable.
Hadoop and HBase attempt to fill that gap.

-Stuart

Re: hadoop migration

Posted by "Philip M. White" <pm...@qnan.org>.
On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 11:47:35PM +0530, nitesh bhatia wrote:
> Bigtable ???
> Is it opensource ? I am not sure if google has released any code of
> bigtable. So far only 1 research paper is available.

HBase is an implementation of BigTable.

--
Philip

Re: hadoop migration

Posted by nitesh bhatia <ni...@gmail.com>.
Bigtable ???
Is it opensource ? I am not sure if google has released any code of
bigtable. So far only 1 research paper is available.

--nitesh

--
Nitesh Bhatia
Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information & Communication Technology

"Life is never perfect. It just depends where you draw the line."

visit:
http://www.awaaaz.com - connecting through music
http://www.volstreet.com - lets volunteer for better tomorrow
http://www.instibuzz.com - Voice opinions, Transact easily, Have fun

Re: hadoop migration

Posted by Amandeep Khurana <am...@gmail.com>.

Re: hadoop migration

Posted by W <wi...@gmail.com>.

--
---
OpenThink Labs

Aligning IT and Education

Re: hadoop migration

Posted by Amandeep Khurana <am...@gmail.com>.

Re: hadoop migration

Posted by W <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: hadoop migration

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Your SQL servers seems database accessible by the internet. Hadoop is
a distributed file-system And, it's quite different with (Database +
SAN storage) cluster architecture.

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
edwardyoon@apache.org